Rear axle shaft/ Spider gear removal D35

remove diff cover

remove center pin

push axles toward center so c clips can be removed

pull shafts

turn spider gears, and spiders will slide toward open part of carrier and come right out.

edit: assuming this is a c clip d35. the older non c clip d35's have 4 nuts behind the drum to unbolt.

Centre Pin removal. Special tools?

Sad to say - last time I got a good step-by about going thru a diff, I was as drunk as the ol'e lad explaining it to me!

Sometimes they slide right out.. other times they need a little encouragement from a drift.

Also there were two kinds of retainers for center pins. Some early axles had a roll pin that had to be driven out. later ones had bolts. 1/4 inch 12 point to be exact.

Sometimes they slide right out.. other times they need a little encouragement from a drift.

Also there were two kinds of retainers for center pins. Some early axles had a roll pin that had to be driven out. later ones had bolts. 1/4 inch 12 point to be exact.

91 c-clip D35 in my 2.5 MJ has a 6 point 5/16 :nanner:

Before u remove any of that, take the cover off, jack one wheel up, and have someone turn the wheel. If they bind, then go through the steps to pop everything out

might need to expand on that some, maybe the O.P. understood it, but it didn't make any sense to me

Before u remove any of that, take the cover off, jack one wheel up, and have someone turn the wheel. If they bind, then go through the steps to pop everything out

might need to expand on that some, maybe the O.P. understood it, but it didn't make any sense to me

Makes perfect sense...why remove anything until you've actually determined the issue?

Remove the diff cover, jack one rear wheel up, and have someone turn that wheel. That will rotate the spiders and tell you if they,re binding cracked or otherwise nonfunctional.

If they're fine and nothing else is plainly broken, block the front wheels so the truck can't move. Then put trans in neutral and turn the driveshaft (with wheel still off the ground) while inspecting the ring gear. If the pinion is bad/chipped, this will be generally reflected on the ring gear...but you can look at the pinion if u use a flashlight, too.

Colton told me both wheels seem to spin fine. For me this eliminates the possibility that anything in the rear axle being bad. Especially since his tcase is supposedly blown...I think the tcase is the issue, not the rear end

91 c-clip D35 in my 2.5 MJ has a 6 point 5/16 :nanner:

That's real wonky. I've never seen anything except a 12 point 1/4" in a d35, will have to check mine when I pull it out.

if thats the case he should've posted a question about his problem. all we can do is answer his question, which was "how do you remove the spider gears"

thats kinda where i was at, if you don't know ALL the info that didn't make any sense. i gotcha now though jeepco