are they worth saving ?

my parts xj has the eliminator wheels, but they are badly - whats the word? -- bad. too far gone for polishing and clear-coat is peeling off them.

i have been thinking of taking a wire-wheel to them and shining them up that way. i know that will leave them scratched up but shiny and unprotected. might not be worth the hassel.

-thoughts ?

a wire wheel is a poor choice of tool for that job. leaves all sorts of nasty scratches. first hand experience here. :( Sand (or other media) blasting would be a better choice. clear coat is just a paint. remove it and see what lies beneath. (but remove it properly so as to not damage the metal.)

they're not the same on xj's...it's probably the limited or whatever wheels that don't have all the simulated beadlock crap around the edge.

I vote that they're good scrap value.

they look the same as the ones on the eliminator that lives near me -- holes all around with a ring of smaller holes inside of that. came stock on the 95 xj sport.

was thinking of putting them on my eliminator to make it look more stock. maybe with some 30" tall tires.

my parts xj has the eliminator wheels, but they are badly - whats the word? -- bad. too far gone for polishing and clear-coat is peeling off them.

i have been thinking of taking a wire-wheel to them and shining them up that way. i know that will leave them scratched up but shiny and unprotected. might not be worth the hassel.

-thoughts ?

A wire wheel will destroy them. They are aluminum, not steel.

Head over to Auto Zone or Advance or Shucks and get a can of Aircraft Stripper. Use that to remove the peeling clearcoat. Then get some good aluminum polish (like Mother's, or even better the stuff they sell at commercial truck stops for the big rigs) and some 000 or 0000 steel wool and use that to polish the aluminum.

they're not.

they don't have all the little round head rivets in them

ya - i see what you mean now. had to look at a few pics i have of them. another item to be on the lookout for.

Wheels are not something I would worry about saving if they're too far gone, they're just wheels. I think I know the style you're talking about, I am pretty sure I have 4 of them in varying stages of corrosion sitting in my storage unit. Either that, or the ones off the Eliminator... would make sense since my '91 is an Eliminator.

Wheels are not something I would worry about saving if they're too far gone, they're just wheels.

Yeah, they are "just wheels" that haven't been made for over 20 years. Not a big deal if all you want is something to roll around on, but if you want the truck to look correct for the year and model, there's no substitute for having the correct wheels.

I wish you lived closer to me I'd save them for you. I have a sand blaster and it works great on restoring aluminum wheels. You probably have someone near you in the business. They usually don't charge much to blast wheels. The blaster near me can even powder coat them in a million different colors, probably something that even looks like aluminum.

Mac...

PS: I use silica sand which is available from places like Home Depot and Menards.

they're not.

they don't have all the little round head rivets in them

I have a set of these "simulated beadlock" wheels and the finish is not great. These worth keeping? I was thinking of giving them away to a local jeeper.

Wheels are not something I would worry about saving if they're too far gone, they're just wheels.

Yeah, they are "just wheels" that haven't been made for over 20 years. Not a big deal if all you want is something to roll around on, but if you want the truck to look correct for the year and model, there's no substitute for having the correct wheels.

You want mine? I am going to use one of them as an extension cord reel in the shop (mounting it to the wall on an old unit bearing so it even spins) but if you can swap me any random rim or two of the 5x4.5 persuasion, the set of 4 is yours as soon as I get them excavated from my storage unit.

I stuck ZJ Canyons on it and think it looks better, so they've just been sitting around since then.

i always said the canyons would look better on it too, then i figured "gamblers" would be the best factory wheels for looks, but i have these and thought that it would be more "correct". if u have the authentic eliminaor wheels, u may want to hang on to them if u have the truck that they originally came on.