No Spark, please help!

i finally found a motor for my Comanche. i put it in this weekend i am having spark issues. i am not getting any spark. I am not getting any spark off the coil either. i have power going to my coil but nothing going from the coil to the distributor. i am stumped. :mad: i don't know enough about electrical to diagnose it. please help me guys!

i finally found a motor for my Comanche. i put it in this weekend i am having spark issues. i am not getting any spark. I am not getting any spark off the coil either. i have power going to my coil but nothing going from the coil to the distributor. i am stumped. :mad: i don't know enough about electrical to diagnose it. please help me guys!

You might let us know what year Comacnhe you have. I'd look at GreatLakes XJ for a FSM for your year in a Cherokee. Or buy a FSM for yours. Two things, check that power is getting to the coil. Then check the coil itself. They do go bad.

Tom

I would check the coil I just this problem with mine. I swaped the coil out and fixed it right away then to test the old one I put it back in and then it wouldnt start again . I ended up leaving the one that worked in it and it has ran great since then.

well, i think i found out the reason why. just don't hate on me guys, i am new to the jeep world. turns out i bought and HO motor without knowing the difference. :wall: So now that the dang motor is in what all do i have to swap over to get it going again? Thanks for the help, i would really like to get this truck goin and drive it this summer. Keep the suggestions coming!

What year and specs on the HO motor donor? What all did you install, just the motor? You have to decide if your gonna upgrade to HO or stay with renix. Someone can chime in on staying with the Renix setup. I think for the HO your gonna need the engine harness and computer plus some other stuff.

the guy i bought the motor from said it was out of an 89 cherokee. i know its not now. i swapped over intake manifolds so it was all the same as my old plug ins. i imagine i am going to have to swap over distributors and what else?

You are going to need the engine harness, dash harness, and you will also need to splice the wiring into the harness for the rear lights. I think there is a few more things you will need to. Ill see if i can find the write up

This will help:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7659

I think it matters what year the donor is from too. 91-95 or 96-01

To do an HO swap, you are better off just getting a complete donor XJ so you have all the parts. Finding a junk donor should be cheaper than gathering all the parts seperately.

If it is an HO motor, not only are the intake ports on the head different, but the flywheel is completely different. The CPS pickups are not the same, and will result in a no spark.

You need to verify what motor you have. A build date should be stamped on the block, and there's a head casting number too.

:agree: You gotta ID what you have before the advice can flow. Here's how:

Jeep heads are identified by a casting number on top of the head above the #4 exhaust port, on the manifold side.

Year............Casting No

1987-90......2686

1991-95......7120

1996-98......0630

1999-06......0331

Blocks

Year..... Casting No

1987-90 53005535

1991-95 53008405

1996-98 53020569

1997-?? 53010341

1999-04 53010449

Additional code info on dating blocks. This code is on the block below the spark plug holes. Example 401MX12

* 4 = Year (1994)

* 01 = Month (January)

* MX = Engine Type/Fuel System/Compression Ratio (MX is a 243 CID, multi-port fuel injection system with 8.8:1 ratio

* 12 = Day of month of engine build

ok, i will look at the build code and let you guys know. so you guys are tellin me that i can't just swap over my electrical stuff and it won't run? can i just put on the cps that went to the HO? damn, this thing is getting to be way too big of a headache :help: