dash lights out?

My dash lights won't come on so i can't see my speedometer or anything at night. The light that tells me my brights are on still comes on, and so does my gas light. Is that a blown fuse or something stranger? please help me out

:eek: Well I guess the best place to start is ; are all the dash lites out , heater control panel eg. ? , fuses blown or corroded terminals ? , then burnt out bulbs or loose instrument panel connectors ? Also H/L switch connections / dimmer reostat function should turn on interior lites is a quick check . ( also check connector block at steering column ) Pretty basic but ya gotta start somewhere . Let us know what you find . Happy hunting , we've all been there :shake:

ive got tails, but i don't have dome lights so i can't use that test :ack: i did however find a bad ground in my radio the other day when i changed it. and coincedently the radio went out at the same time as the dash lights so thats a bingo :yes: i ran a brand new ground from my firewall to my radio when i changed it, so i am going to try to run a robber to the old ground wire to the new ground wire to get ground back to the whole thing. should work well :yes: ill let ya know what happens :thumbsup:

Problem Solved :thumbsup: :yes: :yes: my dash lights, power point, and radio quit working at the same time. If you have this problem here's the solution. Run a new ground from your firewall to the ground wire behind your radio. put a robber from the new ground to the old ground :yes: This makes your old ground wire a good ground again and (in my case) restored life to my dash lights, my power point (cigarette lighter), and my radio. If you have any questions let me know. And thank you all very much for your help :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Sounds sort of like you have a bad ground (12VDC negative). Could be why your gas gauge is acting like it is, using the resistive ground of the fuel sender as 12VDC negative. Have you noticed if the gas gauge light gets brighter as your RPM's increase? I haven't looked at a schematic, but it could be possible that the reason that the headlamp indicator works is that it gets it's power from the headlight cicuit. Anybody have a schematic?

when I purchased my MJ I had no dash lights and I found every bulb was bad including the AC/heater controll panel.

should an 89 have light in the ac/heater control pannel?

yep on the top right side one small bulb.

cool :D ill check it out :D