Who likes Bushwhackers???

possum

I am thinking about putting Bushwhacker flares on my Comanche. Now I personally don't really care for TJ flares so I am thinking this may be my only option. So what I am asking for is input, good points, bad points, personal experience, suggestions, anything. They are kind of pricey but I sort of like the look, so help me out guys. Thanks.

What do you not like about the TJ ones??? I was just asking cause i love mine but i can see why people don't like them. Personally I hate the bushwackers cause they stick out so far from the sides and look way to boxy for me. If you plan to cut alot of fender the TJ work out great.

Cole

I can only speak for aesthetics on this.

I think the Bushwackers look great on the right vehicle and horrid on the wrong vehicle. It might not be a bad idea to photochop em on to get a general idea of how they look.

Oh, and I just had surgery so it's gonna be a day or two more before I can nab those vents, but they'll be out soon.

I think they look good. I have them on my Rubicon, but they are kind of stiff and don't flex too well. I think with a set of 10" wide rims they would look nice.

Here's some pics of the one's I have seen.

See I think the TJ's are too boxy for me and I don't like the reflectors on them. Plus I think my track width is a bit more than normal, but I could be wrong.

I meant Bulky sorry bout that got in a hurry. But I have heard of ALOT of them exploding on the trail when brushed against a tree. And about the lights I have plans to maybe get some lastic solder and fill in around the light and then smooth it out and paint it so they are not there. I had on of mine when I caught it on a tree (before the last trim job) and it bent WAY up and it didnt even crack. BTW what size tires are you running??? Your track width looks almost exactly like mine when i had stock flares I have 35x12.50s on mine with 8" wheels.

Cole

I think that the easier route to geting rid of the blinker is to remove it, then replace it with a piece of lexan, a little textured paint and it blends in.

Frankly, if I do TJ flares I think I'm going to make the signal functional, and then delete the corner markers on the fender.

a 97+ nose, with filled in side markers would look cool I think.

I LOVE the look!!! But I had them on my TJ and they where not nearly as resiliant and durable as the factory flairs!!!

That copper MJ shown above is one of the nicest looking setup I have ever seen!!! I have seen it here before!

I LIKE the TJ flairs idea, only I would NOT use the front flairs. Use all rear ones!! This gives you a FACTORY look and buko durability!!!

CW

See I think the TJ's are too boxy for me and I don't like the reflectors on them. Plus I think my track width is a bit more than normal, but I could be wrong.

I meant Bulky sorry bout that got in a hurry. But I have heard of ALOT of them exploding on the trail when brushed against a tree. And about the lights I have plans to maybe get some lastic solder and fill in around the light and then smooth it out and paint it so they are not there. I had on of mine when I caught it on a tree (before the last trim job) and it bent WAY up and it didnt even crack. BTW what size tires are you running??? Your track width looks almost exactly like mine when i had stock flares I have 35x12.50s on mine with 8" wheels.

Cole

I'm just runnin' 31x10.5 on 8" wheels

Damn i thought you looked bigger than that. But maybe it was the big pic and close up shot. I don't know why i didnt realize you hadnt cut anything. What is your reason for getting flares anyway??? I didnt remember you saying???

Cole

I'm also considering the Bushwacker cut out flares.

Part of the reason is I thought you needed to remove metal around the entire wheel well. From looking at the directions, nothing gets cut out of the top. I was hoping to remove the small amount of rot from that area and save the expense of having metal work done by just adding the new flares.

Can you cut any extra metal out and still have them fit?

Tim

Damn i thought you looked bigger than that. But maybe it was the big pic and close up shot. I don't know why i didnt realize you hadnt cut anything. What is your reason for getting flares anyway??? I didnt remember you saying???

Cole

I am getting the flares out of necessity to cut my fenders. When I try to stuff the wheels she rubs pretty good and I don't want body damage. That's why I haven't mounted my baja claws, those large lugs would be just the thing to grab a fender and crush it. Bushwhackers seem to have the smoothest look for cut fenders but I had seen someone said Rusty's makes flares so I'm gonna look at those also. :chillin:

i've got TJ flares on mine but they are the sahara ones so they are wider the regular TJ one....but I'm gonna swap them with the stock ones from my TJ so they arent sticking out as wide.

Sahara flares are the same as stock TJ flares. The Rubicon flares are the ones that are wider.

I'm also considering the Bushwacker cut out flares.

Part of the reason is I thought you needed to remove metal around the entire wheel well. From looking at the directions, nothing gets cut out of the top. I was hoping to remove the small amount of rot from that area and save the expense of having metal work done by just adding the new flares.

Can you cut any extra metal out and still have them fit?

Tim

Anyone know the answer to this?

I don't think so on the Bushwhackers. But I was looking at the Rusty's flares and it looks like you can with them. But that brings another question do the rear flares from Rusty's fit on a MJ?

I couldn't find any MJ specific flares on Rusty's site. Bushwacker flares are all I can find for the MJs.

Bushwackers were much better when the used to be soft plastic like the regular stock flares.

I have a set that are made of that material on my XJ and they have been smashed and popped back out and everything.

I also have a set of the new ones in my basement and they stink. They are hard a brittle and they will no doubt crack. I said never ever again.

However, I will probably put a set on the just the front of my 89MJ when I finally get around to re-building it, and I have considered a 2 door set for my 87MJ if I were to lift it, to take care of the rotton metal above the flare in the rear where all of the beds rust. It would be an easy fix to cut out the bad metal repair it, and use the bushwacker to cover up the mess.

I THINK THEY ARE WAY TO FAWKING OVER PRICED THOUGH