computer confusion

aemsee

I installed a 500 GB hard drive on my kids computer, but it still thinks it has a 40 GB drive. I did use cloning software that came with it. Any idea how to get it to realize it has 500GB? It is a Dell Optiplex 620 running XP home.Thanks

I don't believe this is a BIOS problem.

There is a difference between physical drives and partitions.

One physical drive can contain multiple partitions

When you performed your clone, you may have cloned the partition (C:), and not the physical drive.

Unfortunately under Windows XP, it's not possible without 3rd party software to expand the current partition.

This results in a 500 GB physical drive with one assigned partition with a size of 40 GB. The remainder of the disk remains unusable until you format it, and create an additional partition.

Take a look at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309000

You'll want to use the unallocated space to create a new (second) primary partition.

You can then use the second partition to install additional programs. Just make sure when installing you specify the new drive letter.

I'm pretty sure you have an unpartioned 460GB of disk space. If you want to expand your current partition look for a program call GPARTED. Although designed for Linux it will expand Windows partitions. Google Gparted and you should be able to find it. Also if I remember there is a 140GB limit per partition. I'm not real sure since I don't run windows too much.

Yes, the HD that was cloned was the original 40

The 40 gig drive had one 40-gig partition. More than likely, when you cloned the drive it cloned the partition size as well as identification. I don't remember hos to get into the partition info in the new versions of Windows -- what you're looking for is the equivalent of the old FDISK command in MS-DOS. You want to find out how many partitions your drive has and what sizes.

Since you are only seeing 40 gigs, there are (I think) only two possibilities:

(1) You have one 40-gig partition and a lot of unallocated space; or

(2) You have one 40-gig partition and a second, 460-gig partition that needs to have a logical drive letter assigned to it and be formatted before you can use it.

I believe there is a utility (but I don't recall if it's in Windows or aftermarket) to dynamically expand a partition to take up all unused, unallocated space available on the drive. Maybe Google on "Expand+Partition"?

Eagle was right. It was a disk partition issue. Tried the partition utility several different ways. Problem was that part of the computer recognized the partition as being 480+ GB, but some areas saw the old 40 GB. So when I tried to use the partition utility, it thought it was already the 480 GB part and couldn't enlarge it any more. So I just reformatted the drive and all is good now. Too bad I paid an extra $20 for the USB hard drive chassis and software over the price of the HDD. Oh well. Thanks for all your responses guys.