new tail lights

I have seen a couple very clean rear tail light blockouts. Then some 2x6 led lites added in as a replacement. I really like the look, its something I would like to do one day. Working with sheetmetal like this is not something I have dione. . . yet... :brows:

CW

With all the talk of these stupid armored tail lights that I really want BAD and I can't have , I guess I'll have to spend the time and money to fab them myself .

Apparently no one is going to make them so when I get my MJ bed , I'll start fabricating a template , I don't care if I screw it up once or twice I think the finished product will

be sweet , LED's and 1/4" steel . Haven't decided on the armored bedsides yet .

I think the finished product will

be sweet , LED's and 1/4" steel .

1/4"? Damn, your leafs will start to sag. 20 gauge is plenty.

Darren is correct, HD, strong are good but remember your mounting them in stock position, its sheet metal!! SOMETHING has to give... Would you rather have a busted tail lite or a wrinkled fender?? Build then too stout, and you'll not have much of a fender left to attach them too if you start hitting stuff with them!!!

CW

Ever since I joined these forums I've been playing in my head with a reliable way of creating new taillights for Comanches, since they seem to be in such short supply.

I honestly had no idea taillights were such a rarity, but then I guess that's something you wouldn't realize until you need to replace them.

One idea I've had is box out the tail lights with metal the same thickness as the rest of the body, then attach Wrangler lights.

...and as soon as I can talk my wife into buying a second MJ, I just might try it!

Alright CW , I'm going to start with 18-14 ga. .Last night I took the tail light out to see what kind of template I need to make .

The Idea is to replicate the boxes for XJ's from JCR , Bedside would cool but I'm going to focus on the boxes for now . Matching the body lines and using a rounded edge on the

corner will be my main goal .

Sorry guys I get all huffy puffy trying to motivate myself , I just threw 1/4" out there , just sounded good .

After looking last night there is almost no room for 1/4" anyway , so the plan is to use a gauge metal that fits flush with the bedside . I may have to play with a couple of different thicknesses of metal to see what works best . Guess I will have to make friends with a CnC stamp machine . I have a CAD program but its set up for another industry .

So most of this is going to be trial and error .