Engine/trans swap for a newbie

Well, I have a line on an MJ, but it needs a new engine. It's either a 86 or 87, 4cyl, manual trans (type??). Body and interior is nice. They want $300 for it w/clear title. It's near where I live in N.C., too.

So, what am I looking at for a job?? I've done engine/trans swaps on 50-70s stuff, and still do some weekend repairs on a neighbors mustang. But I don't have hoists, torque wrenches, stands. But have air compressors, tools and an extra side in my garage.

Am I :nuts:

Go buy a hoist. I got my folding one from harborfreight.com (don't misspell it, using "frieght" brings up a bogus site). Although I picked mine up from a local store. They go on sale every so often too. Same with the jackstands. There is no excuse to not have quality stands.

I love having a cherry picker hoist. It comes in handy for all sorts of chores. :D

I just did a 2.5 engine swap from my 88 to my 87 over the weekend. Nothing real difficult, and mine were both NEast trucks. There is a ton of room to get the bellhousing bolts. Just make sure you have some good metric sockets. I did the swap in my driveway, even though I could have taken them to work and used the shop. Did not have to jack up either one to get to stuff underneath. Get some cold beer and have at it :cheers:

If you can get a MJ for $300, Clear title and its close to home, and good interior, Grab it :brows:

Its got to be almost rust free from NC, Paint condition? Clear coat pealing, still grab it. There are alot of 2.5 around, even from a XJ that will bolt right in, and you've done some wrenching before, Like Pete said, pick up some equipment, new/used, rent and get to work. Good excuse to get the other tools you always wanted. I've swaped engines in Ford vans before, and that got to be the worst job, half in/half out, 2 inches under the firewall :headpop:

Good luck and keep us informed :thumbsup:

LABEL EVERYTHING!!!! We did our swap over a lllloooonnnngggg period of time, and now the little things are hurting.

Pfft. I always figure that if I can't remember what it did or where it goes that ot isn't important...

Mysteriously, I have a whole pile of random parts in my garage and a MJ that doesn't run.

LABEL EVERYTHING!!!! We did our swap over a lllloooonnnngggg period of time, and now the little things are hurting.

Pfft. I always figure that if I can't remember what it did or where it goes that ot isn't important...

Mysteriously, I have a whole pile of random parts in my garage and a MJ that doesn't run.

:grrrr: :jump: