Penetrating oil

There has been a lot of discussion concerning the best penetrating oil to use. Lots of personal opinions but no facts. I am sending a copy of a article run recently in Machinist's Workshop magazine. They "scientifically rusted" a bunch of nuts, treated them with various penetrants, and then measured the torque it took to remove them. Here are the results.

Nothing 516 pounds

WD-40 238 lbs

PB Blaster 214 lbs

Liquid Wrench 127 lbs

Kano Kroil 106 lbs

ATF-Acetone Mix 53 lbs

The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50-50 ATF and Acetone.

Note that the "home Brew" was better than any commercial product. Note also that Liquid Wrench was as good as Kano Kroil for about 20% of the cost.

I remember someone here was recommending the ATF-Acetone recently. Don't remember who but they can pop in anytime and say " I told you so" :smart:

idk guys, something he found on the internet somewhere. his recipe seems to work just fine so I'm not gonna argue with him about it lol.

maybe its for when the nut busts loose and you get yourself in the noggin with a ratchet!

It's interesting that the test results do not support my real life observations (or vise versa). Liquid Wrench has been around since I was a young pup -- PB Blaster has been around maybe ten years (or so). My experience has been that PB Blaster works MUCH better than Liquid Wrench. And Kroil works better than either of them.