engine out

There's a chap from one of the Rocky Mountain states posting on NAXJA as "Hoss Hoffer" who runs a Mopar Statge 2 or Stage 3 cam in his 2.5 TBI. He says the stock fuel system is enough to handle the cam. I hope to find out next year -- I have the vehicle and I have the cam, just need to get them together.

I know a guy in PA who has a complete, NIB factory Stage 3 cam kit. He was going to rebuild and cam the 4-cyl in his MJ but I believe now he may be leaning toward an engine transplant. Lemme know if you can't find anything and I'll ask if he wants to sell his.

I'll do some footwork on this too. Taking the MJ this week to have the r12 drained, and pulling the 4 banger sometime in the next couple of weeks, want to do a cam and lifters, keep the rest more or less stock, except for the header. With the renix motor, not sure what fuel mods you can make to the TBI/injectors.

Did the tear down today. Motor is toast. Would need a bore job to save the block. Not worth putting that kind of money in it. Just gonna make my 88 a donor truck. It's too bad as there was actually very little sludge or build up for 160K. Looks like the PO got stuck or something and just overheated the snot out of it. Also cleaned the carbon ridge of the top of the cyls with some high RPM and chipped the edge of the #4 piston, I'm sure the rings and/or ring lands are broken, but didn't go that far. Anyone need a boat anchor? I will also have a 90K AX4 to get rid of as well after the swap. Shifts good and is quiet.

I was trying to balance the cost of rebuilding with what I could get for my 88. The 88 engine only has 90K on it and runs great. There are other parts off the 88 I was planning to scavange as well, like full guage cluster, working dome lamps, chrome trim etc.

Got the engine swap done this weekend. Everything went pretty well except the inspection cover is touching something and making noise. No biggie. Biggest disapointment was realizing that I couldn't swap the full guage cluster because of the PRNDL in the column auto cluster.. DUH! Oh well, one more thing to sell.

I'm surprised that your not going to try to save the '88, But then again I know you said it has some rust out issues. Save it, swap in that 4.0 you have laying around and convert it to 4wd. You know I got a donor coming. Great winter project :brows:

Or can I expect to be hearing from you on any left over parts ;)

I have a set of 31" if you decide to add a lift kit.

I'm surprised that your not going to try to save the '88, But then again I know you said it has some rust out issues. Save it, swap in that 4.0 you have laying around and convert it to 4wd. You know I got a donor coming. Great winter project :brows:

Or can I expect to be hearing from you on any left over parts ;)

I have a set of 31" if you decide to add a lift kit.

It would be a great winter project...if I had a garage. As for left over parts, you want to add another MJ to your collection? I don't know how long the village busybodies will let me get away with having an unregistered storage facility in my yard. I figure I'm good until spring if I'm lucky. Hell, maybe I'll cut the back off and make a trailer out of it.

My full guage cluster is from a stick, and the auto in my new truck has a shift position indicator built in to the big fuel guage. I could do with out the indicator, but my missus will be driving it as well and she will definitly need the indicator.