1983 Jeep Cherokee XJ

dasbulliwagen

I have a chance at a supposed 1983 Jeep Cherokee XJ for free. It is a 2.8 auto 4x4 4 door. Ive heard the early models arent worth much for parts, my question is, is there anything worth it for me to get this thing? Are the axles the same as later models? Power steering gear? Stuff like that. I would like to build up my 86 parts truck later down the road, and maybe this could the parts truck for my parts truck!!! I'm going to try to go look at it soon, maybe this weekend, Ill let you know what I find. Let me know what you think, and thanks again!

I have a chance at a supposed 1983 Jeep Cherokee XJ for free. It is a 2.8 auto 4x4 4 door. Ive heard the early models arent worth much for parts, my question is, is there anything worth it for me to get this thing? Are the axles the same as later models? Power steering gear? Stuff like that. I would like to build up my 86 parts truck later down the road, and maybe this could the parts truck for my parts truck!!! I'm going to try to go look at it soon, maybe this weekend, Ill let you know what I find. Let me know what you think, and thanks again!

It can't be a 1983 because the Jeep Cherokee XJ didn't come out until 1984. I hope this info helps.

It can't be a 1983 because the Jeep Cherokee XJ didn't come out until 1984. I hope this info helps.

I was wondering that myself but really didnt know, he got it with no title, so maybe he saw 83 build on the door and assumed??? Ill find out soon enough.

I was wondering that myself but really didnt know, he got it with no title, so maybe he saw 83 build on the door and assumed??? Ill find out soon enough.

Yeah, it's possible that it was built in 1983 to be a 1984 model. You can tell what year it really is from the VIN. Just look at the 10th character of the VIN. E = 1984, F = 1985, G = 1986. I hope this info helps.

I've heard that some of the first year XJ's autos were Chrysler A904 3-speeds - used with either the V6 or I4 (one of those classic AMC "hey, whatever's on the shelf" moments). The AW4 was the other auto available. Transfer case would be the NP207

Aside from that, everything thing else should be about the same. Same 2.8. D30 front, XJ D35 non c-clip rear.

I've heard that some of the first year XJ's autos were Chrysler A904 3-speeds - used with either the V6 or I4 (one of those classic AMC "hey, whatever's on the shelf" moments). The AW4 was the other auto available. Transfer case would be the NP207

Aside from that, everything thing else should be about the same. Same 2.8. D30 front, XJ D35 non c-clip rear.

All 1984-1986 Jeep Cherokees with the 2.8L V6 or the 2.5L I-4 with an automatic had the Chrysler A904 3 speed transmission. The AW4 wasn't used until 1987. The AW4 was never used behind the 2.8L V6. I hope this info helps.

AW-4 was not available until 87.

T-case is going to be a NP 207 if it's Command-trac.

CAD D30(Command-trac), D35 rear. I've heard from several sources lately that 84-85 D35s had two piece axle shafts.

If it's free, get it. Otherwise it's not going to be worth much.

Early rear's are supposed to be 2-piece shafts (pressed, or 'friction welded', as the story goes),

they certainly *look* different than later shafts, but the beefier 87-89 D35 shafts swap right in.

(87-89's use a larger axle seal, so you should change that when swapping shafts).

The ft axle is also slightly different.

You know how the track bar bolt has an access hole behind it to reach the nut (with that sheet metal tab welded to it)?

Early axles do not.

(there is no access to the nut).

Not a big deal, but worth mentioning. :dunno: :wavey:

The ft axle is also slightly different.

You know how the track bar bolt has an access hole behind it to reach the nut (with that sheet metal tab welded to it)?

Early axles do not.

(there is no access to the nut).

That I did not know. Now I do. :banana:

I got 2 '84 XJ's. Both 4dr. The first one I got to Make a rock crawler.2.8, 4sd, 4wd. Got ready to 'go at it' and noticed it was rust and dent free with nice interior. Didn't have the heart to hack on it. It's sitting in back waiting for someone to want it bad enough to pay me for it. The second one same story, Rust dent free body, nice interior, 2.5, 4wd, 4 spd with a BUSTED SHIFT RAIL. Trani is in the back, in pieces waiting rebuild.

don't quote me on this but if the front doors are there you might want to look at thoes. early XJs had the winged glass instead of the stationary glass. i picked up a set of doors off an 84 XJ and i can't wait to put them on my one project.

Josh

early XJs had the winged glass instead of the stationary glass.

The operable vents were an expensive option, except in the top trim levels (Laredo and Limited).

\

They also leaked. ALL of them ... ALWAYS. I paid extra to get them in my '88 XJ. They leaked from Day One. The factory offered to fix them ... by replacing them with the fixed windows I paid $$$ to not have. I sealed them with silicone.

don't quote me on this but if the front doors are there you might want to look at thoes. early XJs had the winged glass instead of the stationary glass. i picked up a set of doors off an 84 XJ and i can't wait to put them on my one project.

Josh

When CFC was here, I nabbed a set of doors of a 86 Wagoneer.... same one I got my front end from, it has the vent wings, good seals, power windows, mirrors, and locks, and chrome trim and handles! Those are slated to go on my truck soon.

Got the Cherokee moved this morning and checked it out. Its a 1986 2.8 auto, selec-trac, light blue interior with full center console, silver paint, big dent and puncture in LR quarter, rust free as far as I can tell, missing the LF door, both front fenders and header and hood, and hatch.... been sitting for who knows how many years too, and no title. After looking it over... the thing is entirely fixable and is making me question weather or not to fix it or part it out. With where I have it stored now, I guess I have time to figure that out later....its just the no title part that is throwing me off of weather or not to fix it or not. I have all the extra body parts I need to seal it back up except the hatch, and this would be a perfect one for a 3.4 conversion.....lots of stuff to consider! I have pics and will load them later when I have more time.

I've gotten several titles for lost, abandoned vehicles. Unless it's a really desirable vehicle IMHO it's just not worth the trouble. Check with your local DMV. Laws are different in every state. I've found the easiest and usually cheapest way to get a title is to find the previous owner. Sometimes they still have it. If not they can apply for a lost-duplicate and then sell it to you.

Finally got my camera and my laptop together to get pics up. Solid donor, I'm still hashing through the possibilities of either fixing it, or just parting it out. Its missing some structural sheetmetal up front too.... not sure if Ill mess with it or not.

here's the bad parts... missing part of front inner fender area and part of core support....looks like it was prepared for a new panel that never got put on. Would be easy enough to weld one back in if I found another donor for the inner sheetmetal.

You're looking at a lot of work. I say part it. And sell me the console and buckets. :brows:

But seriously. If you part it, I call dibs on both of those. I have blue interior

Jeepcomj called those parts before I even looked at this Jeep.... it funny that it does have them and the seats are in pretty good shape.... but too, I'm considering a blue interior for my 86 Comanche if I ever build it. Either way, nothing is going to happen anytime soon, but I have it on record here that you are interested! :thumbsup: