I am UNBELIEVABLY pee ohed!

Eagle

Thanks for the lead, Doggy. Price is good ... too good. Looks to be a Sport based on the trim and painted upper flares, but there are NO "Sport" decals. I'd guess it's a rebuilt wreck and I'm not willing to take a chance on something like that when it's too far away for me to inspect closely, up front and personal.

Lots of people debadge vehicles.....though if you look at this pic it seems like the jeep used to be green:

Image Not Found

Plus is has no roof rack....I thought all sports had the roof racks......

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the lead, Doggy. Price is good ... too good. Looks to be a Sport based on the trim and painted upper flares, but there are NO "Sport" decals. I'd guess it's a rebuilt wreck and I'm not willing to take a chance on something like that when it's too far away for me to inspect closely, up front and personal.

Lots of people debadge vehicles.....though if you look at this pic it seems like the jeep used to be green:

Image Not Found

roof racks were optional.

and where in all that picture do you get any clue that it used to be green?

can't see under the carpet, and that is the door rubber that appears dark in the door frame....the frame is white.

Image Not Found

can't see under the carpet, and that is the door rubber that appears dark in the door frame....the frame is white.

seat belt mounts

I thought racks were optional on SE's, and standard on Sports.

Look around the seat belt mounts, its green.

Oh and look here, it was subtle, but the engine bay was green.

Image Not Found

So this was a very through color change, which explains the incorrectly painted grill, and the lack of badges. I guess the roof rack could have been removed too.

I thought racks were optional on SE's, and standard on Sports.

Look around the seat belt mounts, its green.

I passed a deal on a 4 cyl '98 sport recently w/o roof rack, so my guess is optional. it never had one...

I'm pretty certain the roof rack was standard on the Sport. However, the U.S. government bought vehicles in large enough numbers that they probably could have ordered Sport models with a delete option on the roof rack.

then it's possible the info on the website is incorrect. fraud?

Possible. A re-paint always raised some red flags.

OTOH - could just be a simple paint job. Out here in the PacNW, there were a ton of XJ's used as fleet vehicles for the Forest Service and Parks Dept, all of them with that green paint job. When they show up at auction, it's very common to see them painted a new color - either because people don't want it to look like a surplus vehicle, or they simply don't like the color.

I'd take an original forrest service green over a after thought crappy white paintjob anyday.

Rob L. 8)

I'd agree, but this seems to be a very quality full repaint, all the jambs are sprayed well, the fenders where removed. The paint appears to be of good quality with a smooth finish and no orange peel, that type of repaint cost $$$, really, as much money as the jeep is worth.

Plus it also explains the lack of badges, simply didn't want to purchase new ones to install, maybe the owner liked it badgeless.

I just went back and looked at the photos again. It appears that the driver's seat is not a power seat. The driver's seat in my 2000 XJ Sport is a power seat, and I think that was standard. I think it's clear that this was a fleet vehicle, probably the U.S., gummint because most state and municipal agencies don't buy large enough numbers to be able to delete standard features such as roof racks and power seats.

I just went back and looked at the photos again. It appears that the driver's seat is not a power seat. The driver's seat in my 2000 XJ Sport is a power seat, and I think that was standard. I think it's clear that this was a fleet vehicle, probably the U.S., gummint because most state and municipal agencies don't buy large enough numbers to be able to delete standard features such as roof racks and power seats.

My 2000 XJ Classic does not have power seats. Power seats were an option on all models (I believe) and standard on the Limiteds.

98 sport. 5 speed 4x4 4.0 auto, pw, pl,a/c, no cruise.

no power seats...best pic I have

I know I've seen sport models w/ no roof racks from factory.

Power seats were optional(and I can't recall ever seeing sports with them personally), cruise control was an option, the overhead console was an option(very rare in sports).

I don't see any indication this was a fleet vehicle at all(many fleet vehicles are SE's, though there are also sports, freedoms and limiteds).

Course this is all academic, I don't think your buying it anyways.