I am UNBELIEVABLY pee ohed!

Eagle

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Find me a really pristine Classic or Limited with 50,000 miles, Selec-Trac, in all original configuration for $6,000 and I'll be interested.

Can do, it'll even be rust free.

Now, when would you like to come to colorado and get it?

Eagle, if you were willing to pay $22k for a 9 yr old "new" vehicle, don't you think you'd be willing to pay $10-12k for 50k one out there somewhere? I'm just saying if an XJ is what you feel most comfortable buying there's bound to be a few out there. Even if it is across the country, you can have it thoroughly inspected by a 3rd party and ship it for about $1k. I say things happen for a reason, and you'll be glad you didn't get that truck. Just WAY too many things that don't make sense with it. Now, if you signed a sales contract, it's all about the fine print if you want to be a thorn in their side. I can't imagine it would be worth your time and trouble IMO.

Then again, here's an idea: maybe what you need to do is make them go find what you want at true cost, i.e. $0 profit to them, or even at a loss. You pay the price of the dealer purchase price for the XJ, and NOTHING else. No shipping, no prep, no BS admin fees. Walk in there with the local investigative TV reporter threatening to expose their scam. You'll get what you want! :chillin:

you weren't really gonna pay 22 grand for an xj were you?

Yes, I was. Yeah, I expect that the tires may have some dry rot and the battery won't live five years, but this was a NEW Cherokee Limited. I checked it over. It had not been driven. All window stickers were still in place. It is definitely worth $22,000.

no, it is NOT worth 22,000.

it's a tin can that you're giving to a person who doesn't have driving experience. it's 10 years old. it's never been driven. tires are gonna be junk, battery junk, all fluids junk, and quite possibly will have issues with the trans etc. from not being lubricated for all of 10 years.

so, I think you're nuts as far as that goes.

as far as your question...did they cash the check? you may have had a sales contract, but unless they cashed the check, you didn't have a binding contract.

Contacting the BBB is a waste of time. They have no teeth. All you would be doing is formally stating you are "dissatisfied". They're a car dealership. They probably get a BBB complaint once a week.

I have purchased most of my cars through the years from local small town dealerships where I knew people. This last time, I couldnt do that. Last summer, I bought a new JK but had to go to a Fort Wayne Jeep dealer. I knew what I wanted. A 2 door Rubicon, Orange, hard top. They would have needed to locate one which they couldnt do (even though I did). The "sales manager" who was probably 20 years old leaned on me pretty hard to get me to buy a lifted, a stupid looking modified, soft top, 4 door base model. It was a POS and all show (no dana 44 F&R). I was polite but the dumba$$ wouldnt shut up. He kept asking, "What's wrong with this?". Over and over and over. Then I went to a small town dealer and was treated the same way again. They all suck. Hard to believe their business model includes skrewing the customer. Hard to believe they went bankrupt.

Even if it costs you, call a lawyer.

I say start looking for a ~50k mile XJ for ~$5k-$7k and be happy this deal fell through.

They don't exist. Around here, that kind of money might buy a thoroughly beat Sport with over 150,000 miles on it, and no Selec-Trac. And probably some wise guy's home-installed hack job sound system.

Find me a really pristine Classic or Limited with 50,000 miles, Selec-Trac, in all original configuration for $6,000 and I'll be interested.

WTF do you care if it has selec-trac from the factory for?

you KNOW how to swap a transfercase, and that it's a 2 hour job to put selec-trac in an xj.

Then again, here's an idea: maybe what you need to do is make them go find what you want at true cost, i.e. $0 profit to them, or even at a loss. You pay the price of the dealer purchase price for the XJ, and NOTHING else. No shipping, no prep, no BS admin fees. Walk in there with the local investigative TV reporter threatening to expose their scam. You'll get what you want! :chillin:

And where do you think anyone is going to come up with another NEW 2001 Cherokee Classic?

Seriously, guys, I know your intentions are good, but I was cheated out of a NEW vehicle, not a low-mileage used vehicle. There IS a difference.

as far as your question...did they cash the check? you may have had a sales contract, but unless they cashed the check, you didn't have a binding contract.

They did not cash the check, but they accepted the check and held it for ten days before reneging on the deal. They do not have to deposit the check for the deal to be binding. If they chose not to deposit the check, it's their problem.

If you want to post the vin or PM it to me I will run it through Chrysler for you.... I'm actually in Chrysler tech training right now in Charlotte, NC but the comps they have here for us are allowing me to surf the web. Ill be checking back throughout the day.

And where do you think anyone is going to come up with another NEW 2001 Cherokee Classic?

Seriously, guys, I know your intentions are good, but I was cheated out of a NEW vehicle, not a low-mileage used vehicle. There IS a difference.

You were absolutely cheated. You will not find anything close to that. If you wanted a new xj, that was your only opportunity.

damm that really blows eagle.... but i believe as long as you have a valid sales contract signed by both parties, then they have to sell you the truck.. had the same sort of thing happen to me many moons ago, little different situation though... i had been looking a 93 isuzu pickup in the auto trader from a dealership in providence.. it was advertised for $3k through at least 3 issues, and when i got there to look at it the engine was apart and they were doing the head gasket :huh???: so i looked the truck over, gave them a deposit to hold it, signed a sales agreement, and went home... and the snotnosed piece of work kid who owned the place called my parent's house the next day (i still lived there at the time) and started to rip into my mom and called her all kinds of names, and he said the salesman never talked to him about the price and couldn't authorize it (even though it had been in the trader for 3 months at the same price), and we just did all kinds of motor work to the truck so now the price went up to $4500 :fs1: .. i called him back and called him a coward, and said why don't you come to my neighborhood and spew all that crap you just said over the phone to my mom to me personally, and of course he declined... so i went there the next morning to get my deposit back, and the truck isn't there.. spoke to the original salesman, he said someone else bought it for $4500, and it's out getting an inspection sticker.. words could not express how livid i was, but i bit my tongue, left without my deposit, and called up my parent's lawyer friend... and this is what he told me: as long as you have a valid sales agreement signed by both parties, it's a breach of contract for 2 reasons, 1 being that they advertised a vehicle not ready for sale, and 2. they can't just raise the price after the paperwork is signed.. he also told me that if i was to pursue litigation, that the vehicle would have to remain on the lot until the case was worked out... i called the dealer back the next morning and told them all that, and the owner said i could pick the truck up the following day for $3k.. paid em in travelers cheques too :rotf: not sure that helps you any, or even if the jeep is actually still on their lot, but usually the threat of legal action and camera crews will force their hand....

I wasn't saying you could find another "new" one, I'm sure that was the only one around. I meant you should be able to get what you want in a super low mileage one, with the specs you want. Have an attorney review the signed sales contract, tell you if you have any recourse, and if so, show up with that TV reporter and demand what is acceptable to you. That "new" one is gone and there's no chance of getting it back, so IMO you need to decide if you would rather walk away or determine what you want out of it if you pursue legally. :dunno:

Yes, I was. Yeah, I expect that the tires may have some dry rot and the battery won't live five years, but this was a NEW Cherokee Limited. I checked it over. It had not been driven. All window stickers were still in place. It is definitely worth $22,000.

it's a tin can that you're giving to a person who doesn't have driving experience. it's 10 years old. it's never been driven. tires are gonna be junk, battery junk, all fluids junk, and quite possibly will have issues with the trans etc. from not being lubricated for all of 10 years.

How will the trans have issues if it hasn't been driven? If the parts are not moving, they don't really need lubricating?? So a NOS trans that's been sitting in a warehouse for years at Chysler is gonna have issues? The only issues should be contaminated trans fluid, or the fluid has broken down and lost its lubricating or heat dissipating abilities. But if the fluid has never done anything but sit there, how can it be contaminated?! Do a full flush and with new fluids it should be fine. How is that any different than you taking something out of a JY rig that's been sitting for years, USED, and putting it in your truck? :dunce: :smart:

How will the trans have issues if it hasn't been driven? If the parts are not moving, they don't really need lubricating?? So a NOS trans that's been sitting in a warehouse for years at Chysler is gonna have issues? The only issues should be contaminated trans fluid, or the fluid has broken down and lost its lubricating or heat dissipating abilities. But if the fluid has never done anything but sit there, how can it be contaminated?! Do a full flush and with new fluids it should be fine. How is that any different than you taking something out of a JY rig that's been sitting for years, USED, and putting it in your truck? :dunce: :smart:

The clutches and the seals can dry out after sitting soo long and no longer grip or seal properly if they arent getting a regular drenching of fluid to keep that from happening. Ive seen it happen, and can only be fixed with a rebuild.

i would pursue it for yourself and the next guy. sometimes we just need to stand and take the heat. besides it pissed me off.

:agree:

Talk to a lawyer. If the law is on your side shove that contract up their @$$ and do everything you can to put them out of business. They are counting on apathetic people that don't want to take the time to call them on their BS. Just think of all the people they have or will be screwed over that don't have the resources to fight them. It is definitely worth the time and effort to beat these a$$holes into submission.

Willy

Something else, maybe. Was it outside in the elements (sun and cold) this whole time with windows always rolled up? If so, interior will have been affected, (vinyl dash, vinyl/leather on seats, etc) window stripping, etc. also. Washed and waxed properly? Or, just rinsed now and then? Vinyl/leather interior protected or left to bake in the heat, freeze in the cold?

Gas, oil, fluids left to sit turn caustic and bad, and affects the engine and transmission. Were fluids changed as per schedule for low mileage cars?

All of this adds up to a car with maybe a few miles on it but all the problems of a 10 year old car left outside in the elements and barely driven.

In all honesty, it should have been sold as a low mileage used car not well maintained, if this is the case. Didn't notice, but would they give you the full new car warranty?

The clutches and the seals can dry out after sitting soo long and no longer grip or seal properly if they arent getting a regular drenching of fluid to keep that from happening. Ive seen it happen, and can only be fixed with a rebuild.

yep, and moisture will contaminate every system that has fluid in it, engine, fuel system, brakes, cooling, power steering. the trans can have condensation and moisture sitting inside it for years causing corrosion. there's almost no chance that vehicle would be a worry free great driver when put into service. if you're just that wealthy, and want to collect an xj thats never been driven then fine. i love xj's more than most. but in that case it should just continue to be stored. there is no time capsule for a vehicle, they cannot sit for years, and then be put into service and perform well.

i have a customer with a 95 or 96 saleen, it has less than 3,000 miles on it, she's spent a few thousand dollars in maintenance and suspension parts in the last year or so, because she bought it and drives it once a week in the summer. she put most of the 3,000 miles on it, and has spent probably 4-5 thousand on it, that translates to practically 1,000 bux/mile :hmm:

Something else, maybe. Was it outside in the elements (sun and cold) this whole time with windows always rolled up? If so, interior will have been affected, (vinyl dash, vinyl/leather on seats, etc) window stripping, etc. also. Washed and waxed properly? Or, just rinsed now and then? Vinyl/leather interior protected or left to bake in the heat, freeze in the cold?

Gas, oil, fluids left to sit turn caustic and bad, and affects the engine and transmission. Were fluids changed as per schedule for low mileage cars?

All of this adds up to a car with maybe a few miles on it but all the problems of a 10 year old car left outside in the elements and barely driven.

In all honesty, it should have been sold as a low mileage used car not well maintained, if this is the case. Didn't notice, but would they give you the full new car warranty?

I pulled the Chrysler history for Eagle... it has been titled, and no it doesnt come with any warranty... but it did have 2 recalls performed on it in 01 and 03.

yep, and moisture will contaminate every system that has fluid in it, engine, fuel system, brakes, cooling, power steering. the trans can have condensation and moisture sitting inside it for years causing corrosion. there's almost no chance that vehicle would be a worry free great driver when put into service. if you're just that wealthy, and want to collect an xj thats never been driven then fine. i love xj's more than most. but in that case it should just continue to be stored. there is no time capsule for a vehicle, they cannot sit for years, and then be put into service and perform well.

i have a customer with a 95 or 96 saleen, it has less than 3,000 miles on it, she's spent a few thousand dollars in maintenance and suspension parts in the last year or so, because she bought it and drives it once a week in the summer. she put most of the 3,000 miles on it, and has spent probably 4-5 thousand on it, that translates to practically 1,000 bux/mile :hmm:

:yes: I was just trying to bust jeepco's nads...........................it's what I do. :brows:

yep' date=' and moisture will contaminate every system that has fluid in it, engine, fuel system, brakes, cooling, power steering. the trans can have condensation and moisture sitting inside it for years causing corrosion. there's almost no chance that vehicle would be a worry free great driver when put into service. if you're just that wealthy, and want to collect an xj thats never been driven then fine. i love xj's more than most. but in that case it should just continue to be stored. there is no time capsule for a vehicle, they cannot sit for years, and then be put into service and perform well.

i have a customer with a 95 or 96 saleen, it has less than 3,000 miles on it, she's spent a few thousand dollars in maintenance and suspension parts in the last year or so, because she bought it and drives it once a week in the summer. she put most of the 3,000 miles on it, and has spent probably 4-5 thousand on it, that translates to practically 1,000 bux/mile :hmm:[/quote']

:yes: I was just trying to bust jeepco's nads...........................it's what I do. :brows:

oh, no worries there. I was right, you were wrong, so there simply is no way busting nads here is going to affect me. you forget, I'm bionic.

yep' date=' and moisture will contaminate every system that has fluid in it, engine, fuel system, brakes, cooling, power steering. the trans can have condensation and moisture sitting inside it for years causing corrosion. there's almost no chance that vehicle would be a worry free great driver when put into service. if you're just that wealthy, and want to collect an xj thats never been driven then fine. i love xj's more than most. but in that case it should just continue to be stored. there is no time capsule for a vehicle, they cannot sit for years, and then be put into service and perform well.

i have a customer with a 95 or 96 saleen, it has less than 3,000 miles on it, she's spent a few thousand dollars in maintenance and suspension parts in the last year or so, because she bought it and drives it once a week in the summer. she put most of the 3,000 miles on it, and has spent probably 4-5 thousand on it, that translates to practically 1,000 bux/mile :hmm:[/quote']

oh, no worries there. I was right, you were wrong, so there simply is no way busting nads here is going to affect me. you forget, I'm bionic.

:shake:

They did not cash the check, but they accepted the check and held it for ten days before reneging on the deal. They do not have to deposit the check for the deal to be binding. If they chose not to deposit the check, it's their problem.

actually, that's true but not true at the same time.

if I get a check from worker's comp, presumably I have "agreed" that it's enough to cover whatever happened...however, if I don't cash it, it is not legally binding.

likewise with a business. if they don't cash a check for services rendered or items sold, they're not legally bound to that sale. the company I work for is going through this trying to get money from a few mcdonald's owned by the same owner...he disagreed with our amount, sent us what he thought our services were worth (way low...less than the cost of the equipment we installed). we didn't cash it and are pursuing through the legal channels right now. if we cashed the check, we'd be cutting our losses.