front skid plate

I found an 88 cherokee inthe pull a part today with a front steel skid plate. It looks stock and is in perfect shape so I took it ($15.00). Is this a stock part or something someone added. Never seen one on other cherokees or Comanches. But mine has one now.

The front skid plate is OEM.

You'll also find a gas tank skid plate (MJ), and a transfer case skid plate on the same truck.

"off road" packages had this equipment, along with front tow hooks and a limited slip rear axle as part of the package.

I got a front skid off a '97 XJ. I noticed in my uniframe, there are holes for the extra bolts to mount it, but they are not tapped... Anyone know the correct size?

For the front of the skid, it looks like some short bolts, with nuts and lockwasher from the hardware store would work for securing it to the lower radiator support.

It had front tow hooks but I didnt have a torx bit to remove them i'll see if they are still there when I go back. I didnt look at the gear ratios but it had a non disconnect front axle I may check out the rear axle for limited slip while I am there. (I'm doing a 4wd swap)

I'm sure you know this but I gotta say it anyway. :D if the hooks are there, grab the brackets that support them. :thumbsup: You wouldn't be the first to grab the cheap hooks without the expensive brackets. :yes:

I'm sure you know this but I gotta say it anyway. :D if the hooks are there, grab the brackets that support them. :thumbsup: You wouldn't be the first to grab the cheap hooks without the expensive brackets. :yes:

Thats the plan I just hope no one beats me to them. (unless its a CC member that is)

So OEM Skid plates = off road package huh. This 89 Limited XJ I bought has a full skid plate package. (front, t/c and gas tank) I assume that means it'll also have a limited slip rear axle. Were there any other options that came with an off road package?

I read this in the article that follows. "In 1986, the 2.5 liter engine gained fuel injection, bumping power to 117 horsepower and easing starting and general operation, with no gas mileage penalty. A new off-road package with bigger tires, skid plates, a raised suspension, and a 4:10 gear ratio was also added. http://www.allpar.com/trucks/jeep/cherokee.html

My question is; were tha 4.10 gears only installed in the 2.5 models or across tha board in all off road packages?

I also found this article but it has no mention of 4.10 gears.

In addition to comfort options, the Jeep Off-Road or Up-Country package provides the Cherokee with additional capabilities. This package consists of skidplates for front suspension, transfer case, and fuel tank, revised front and rear springs with 1-inch higher ride height, two front and one left rear tow hooks, 15x7in. tyres with P225/75R15 radial tires, and gas-pressurized shock absorbers.

And then there's this;

Axle Gear Ratios

Jeep XJs came in several standard gearing ratios:

* 3.07:1, manual transmission, I6 engine.

* 3.54:1, automatic transmission, I6 engine with Dana 44 rear differential.

* 3.54:1, manual transmission, I4 diesel engine with Dana 35 rear differential.

* 3.55:1, automatic transmission, I6, V6 engines; manual transmission, I4 engine.

* 3.73:1, automatic transmission, I6, Tow Package, UpCountry Package.

* 4.10:1, manual transmission, V6; automatic transmission, I4 engine.

* 4.56:1, automatic transmission, I4, offroad or tow package.

Note that none of the above mention limited slips.

Seems to me the only way to know for sure what you have is to crawl under your vehicle and look or decode your VIN.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

A lot of things were add-ons unto themselves in addition to being included in a package or 2. This includes the limited slip diff, skid plates, and other fun stuff. It was either done to give more choice to the consumer, or to confound the heck out of us 20 years later. Maybe both.

My 89 pioneer has full skids but no tow hooks and my 94XJ is the country edition but has no tow hooks and a plastic gas tank skid. So I assume that none of this was standard, just a bunch of options you could mix and match?

My 89 pioneer has full skids but no tow hooks and my 94XJ is the country edition but has no tow hooks and a plastic gas tank skid. So I assume that none of this was standard, just a bunch of options you could mix and match?
I'm pretty sure tha plastic skid plate came standard. Its tha metal plates front, center and rear that were optional.

Like a few of you, although my XJ has all tha plates, it doesnt have tha hooks. :(

Gonna have to keep an eye out for some next time I'm at tha j/y. Meanwhile I'm gonna pull tha front and t/c plate off the XJ and prep um to go on my MJ. (won't git put on till my suspension and 4x4 tranny are installed.

Anybody need a XJ fuel tank plate? P/M me an offer. You pay shipping.

I just pulled a set of tow hooks and brackets off the '98 XJ UpCountry I got my rear axle from (it also has a full skid package). The 97+ appear to have the bumper brackets welded to the tow hook brackets (nothing a cutting wheel can't fix)

I was pleasantly surprised by all the bracketry that comes with these hooks! There are also 90 degree angle brackets on the inboard side of them in front of the lower radiator support that have nuts welded on to them. They replace the stupid catch plate nuts that break all the time for securing the bumper to the frame. jamminz.gif

comanche09 - That is the way the OEM tow hooks came, with the bumper bracket welded to the tow hook brackets, and with the welded nuts for the 3 bumper side bolts. I couldn't tell you if the '97 bumper brackets are the same as the Renix era, but if there even close, I would leave then on ;)

JACKED88 - You posted a bunch of info on the XJ :eek:

We're talking MJ's here, there is no "Up-County" MJ package :shake:

Yes, alot of items and packages were the same for the 60 and 70 series, but there were also many differences.

If you have the "plastic" skid plate, or bottom cover........remove it, it does nothing but hold dirt and moister at the bottom of the tank and rot the tank out :eek:

This was only an odd option, and I've seen a few of them, and rotted out gas tanks :(

As Peter wrote, in the hay day of the MJ (and XJ) anything could be ordered, there were no set standards in the trim packages, like other manufacturers or having a trim package like the 731, that had X amount of goodies in that package, it was a crap shoot then, and it's a crap shoot today figuring out what Your MJ came with when it rolled off the line in Toledo.

Plus.........what was done with your MJ over the past 20 years????? Were the tow hooks removed/added :dunno: Got stolen in the mall parking lot :dunno: Never got them rolling off the line :dunno:

Kind of like the sunroofs, it was a dealer installed item, not in Toledo, and did the dealer install the "official" sun roof, or get the guy on the corner that did details and accessories to install A sun roof :dunno:

If you ever get a hold of a FSM, look in the 1st section, and you'll find all the "Dealer installed options" that these truck had to offer at that time.

JACKED88 - You posted a bunch of info on the XJ :eek:

We're talking MJ's here, there is no "Up-County" MJ package :shake:

I know there was no Up-Country package for an MJ. This thread started out with nitroxsteve finding tha plate he bought for his MJ on an XJ. Considering XJ's are much easier to find in tha bone yards, I was both asking and posting what all was available on XJ packages that will work on MJ's.

Sorry about tha confusion. :hmm:

I didn't mean that the info you posted don't belong here, yes, it does, as the MJ and XJ share alot of common items, like axles and gear ratios, like you posted.

Sorry for my confusion :oops:

What I mean is that the info that's out there, might be a common denominator, but the only real fact is to check what you have, like gear ratio's, what's common, or should be there is only proven with pulling the cover and reading what's stamped on the ring, then you know what you have.

Who knows if some hay farmer ordered his brand new MJ from the factory with 4.88's and a 4.0 and 4 speed for pulling hay wagons :dunno: