idk where to look for a new one. Is my AW-4 toast?

woody62

If you dropped the pan, you could see if there's any material lying in it. What's the fluid look like on the dipstick? red? brown? smells funny?

Do you need this as a daily driver? or can it be out of commission for a while?

If it comes to dropping the trans, be very careful with the dip stick tube. I've read that they are fragile.

If it comes to dropping the trans, be very careful with the dip stick tube. I've read that they are fragile.

It's two pieces. One piece is attached at the oil pan and curves upwards to the engine bay. Shortly after the curve there is another piece that lies inside with an o-ring to prevent leakage. These two pieces are a real PITA to get apart sometimes. I finally gave up, applied some heat to where they connect, melted the o-ring and it came apart no problem. Had to get a new o-ring, though!

it slips now and when its in reverse it sometimes dies while backing up... the jeep is pretty ruff we got it for 400 bucks

Before you do that do this:

It sounds like a bad solenoid or two. There are three of them inside and they are easy to change by pulling the pan. They can be checked at the TCU connector with an ohmeter. Each should read 11-15 ohms. When they go bad they usually short out causing all kinds of shifting problems.

And while you have the TCU disconnected, take it for a drive and see if you can shift through the gears normally using the shifter. If you can, it's normally a TCU problem of the above mentioned soienoids that the TCU controls. :cheers:

Seen how you originally asked where to get an automatic tranny.........

If you really want to check it out first, read thru this, it will take you step by step for diagnosing a problem -

http://www.transonline.com/transdigest/ ... index.html

But.......if it's slipping in reverse, I would think the tranny is shot :roll: That's usually the first thing to go south on the AW4 (and Ford) trannys.

There really not too hard to swap out, and there are a couple of write-ups on the DIY forum.