Common Courtesy Rant

jpdocdave

:hijack:

Got a "customers always right" one!

Worked a Ford parts counter from late 1967 to 1979. Took a break from mid 1968 to late 1970 after being drafted into the Army.

The Rule: Customer is always right.

Its probably 1977. Three phones off the hook with customers waiting on them. Several customers at the counter. All three of us busy! One of our "favorite" customers is there. He always complained. Wants the spring steel clip used to hold the wiper linkage together. I get it and invoice it. 90 cents. He says: "90 cents! What a rip off! I can make one for 90 cents!". Guess what my comment was since "the customer is always right?" I removed it from his hand and said ..... "then go make it!"

The Parts Managers and Assistant managers jaws dropped! Then smiles broke out on their faces.

It was a good day!

Now, back to the regularly scheduled program! Thread is unhijacked.

Exactly ....

This is how I do it , since I work 6-7 days a week 12-15 hr. work days , if someone comes in and needs anything thats special order

or special fab. I tell them the time it takes to do it and with a smile , then I tell them what it will take to do it their way .

For some weird reason , they always pick my way , because their way costs allot more .... :yes:

Oh" , you still want it your way , Yes sir I accept Mastercard , Visa and good ol' cash , sorry no American Express .

I've been known to be still working late Christmas eve nights finishing projects for customers that wait till last min. to buy something

for their wife . I always give them a little crap but I always come through , I know how cold the dog house is in December . :rotfl2:

I've got a new rant about my roommates!

I go down to the basement to get my laundry out of the dryer (imagine that - someone who actually removes their laundry so other people can use the facilities!). For a couple of weeks now my roommate and his girlfriend have been building horse jumps in their spare time and selling them to local horse farms in the area. Seems to make a pretty quick buck, too. Anyway, I knew they've been using the basement to paint the jumps, but I assumed they were being clean about it. Nope. I took a peek on the side of the basement I rarely go to and saw the ridiculous mess they made. There is white paint all over the floor, the walls, and it's even splattered on the ceiling. They also used a couple of patio chairs I had stored in the basement as a means for propping up the jumps while they painted them. Guess what - there is paint all over my patio furniture...on the metal frames, in the mesh lining, everywhere. Awesome.

This basement isn't finished so it's not like some paint here and there is ruining the floor or walls, but common. You can't just splash paint around wherever you feel like it and expect it to be 'okay.' No one living here owns this house - it's a rental, but the situation we have is very delicate in the sense that we're living in this house for a ridiculously low monthly rental rate because my Dad and the owner are real good friends and he's basically doing us a favor. Now, if he were to come over to the house today (although he never does) and sees paint all over his basement floor and walls, I can't imagine he would be very pleased. No need to rock the boat when it's sailing straight.

I've got a new rant about my roommates!

I go down to the basement to get my laundry out of the dryer (imagine that - someone who actually removes their laundry so other people can use the facilities!). For a couple of weeks now my roommate and his girlfriend have been building horse jumps in their spare time and selling them to local horse farms in the area. Seems to make a pretty quick buck, too. Anyway, I knew they've been using the basement to paint the jumps, but I assumed they were being clean about it. Nope. I took a peek on the side of the basement I rarely go to and saw the ridiculous mess they made. There is white paint all over the floor, the walls, and it's even splattered on the ceiling. They also used a couple of patio chairs I had stored in the basement as a means for propping up the jumps while they painted them. Guess what - there is paint all over my patio furniture...on the metal frames, in the mesh lining, everywhere. Awesome.

This basement isn't finished so it's not like some paint here and there is ruining the floor or walls, but common. You can't just splash paint around wherever you feel like it and expect it to be 'okay.' No one living here owns this house - it's a rental, but the situation we have is very delicate in the sense that we're living in this house for a ridiculously low monthly rental rate because my Dad and the owner are real good friends and he's basically doing us a favor. Now, if he were to come over to the house today (although he never does) and sees paint all over his basement floor and walls, I can't imagine he would be very pleased. No need to rock the boat when it's sailing straight.

Sounds like you need to find your own place of zen . The problem is someone does own that house and any damages or costs of cleaning

can and will be at your expense . We are not talking about a small apartment here , a house can cost a homeowner a fat bundle to repair

and general maint.

I had a deal like that quite a few years back with a roommate that was worthless , the land lord came back and fined us about 1400.00 bucks

that she took us to court for and was awarded by the judge . Took me two years to pay off .

Lesson learned . Find your own place to live ..

Sounds like you need to find your own place of zen . The problem is someone does own that house and any damages or costs of cleaning

can and will be at your expense . We are not talking about a small apartment here , a house can cost a homeowner a fat bundle to repair

and general maint.

I had a deal like that quite a few years back with a roommate that was worthless , the land lord came back and fined us about 1400.00 bucks

that she took us to court for and was awarded by the judge . Took me two years to pay off .

Lesson learned . Find your own place to live ..

I'd love to get my own place, but I can't financially justify leaving the place I'm at now. If you knew what my monthly expenses were for the house + utilities, you'd want to stay, too! My roommate (who I don't think I've mentioned also happens to be my cousin) isn't a complete waste of space. I'm sure I could mention the issue with the paint in the basement and he'd figure out a way to clean it up. I'll be doing that this evening when I see him next.

For the paint, I would recommend just painting the basement floor white. Go spend $20 on a 50 gal bucket of aspen white, get rollers, and paint it white, problem solved.

I'll forward that recommendation to my roommate. I'm certainly not having any part of that.

Or you can add up how much it will cost to KILLS the basement and have the landlord take it off your rent , you would be doing him

a favor at the same time . Its white so it will cover anything painted or not .

There was a time while working recovery and towing back in Texas that I was on call 3 days a week and had to work half a Saturday as well. My hours off call were 8AM to 6PM, and I had to take lunch whenever I could find it, and often couldn't find it. My on call was Monday, Wednesdays, and Fridays from after 6pm until I showed up at work the next day. I would have killed to have a normal job with fixed hours. Well, some days. I did sort of enjoy the cowboy aspect and all the crazy stuff I saw.

But, basically, you got to go where the business is. While I personally try to avoid stopping by near closing time(especially where food is concerned, as I do not like to eat someone elses' spit...), lunch time is the one time many other day workers have off to get stuff done. You can't fight that - nothing to do with consideration. Post office is gonna be full. Lines at the bank will be long. It is what it is. If they don't get you at lunch, then they'll have to get you on the way home...that sounds like closing time to me ;)

WYK

Seemed to me that it would make sense to keep shop hours more like tues - fri, 10-7pm, sat 10-5.

There are some businesses around here that operate that way(not shops though), but this way you are able to get more people in after normal hours.

Its a change, and people wouldn't be able to drop a car off before work for example, but they would be able to drop it off in the evening after work.

Seems like its a little bit of a change, but could lead to a better customer interaction.