about to buy these...anyone ever used?

OK, here's where I stick my neck out just a little.

Back in the dark ages of XJ/MJ's (early 1990's), only two companies made XJ/MJ stuff.

Your lift choices were:

3" Rancho coils (what I had)

4" Trailmaster coils (tho you had to buy the whole kit to get the coils).

Then Tomken Machine started selling 4" & 6" (4" coils w/ 2" spacers) kits.

These were the first XJ spacers made, and as soon as they started selling them seperate from the 6" kit, I bought a set

(bumped my 3" XJ to 5" :D )

The spacers are steel, and simple to make, so I made some 2.5" ones & ran those.

(the screw on bumpstop captures the coil on our early XJ/MJ's, so the coil can't go anywhere.)

Then tried 'something' in the 3's, before going all out, and building 4.25" steel spacers. :yes:

That was about as big as I thought would work.

I had bought my first MJ by then (1996), it was 2wd, & I wasn't going to wheel it.

So I SOA'd it, with a 4.10 YJ D35, put the 4.25" spacers up front (captured by the coil spacer), slapped some used 31's on it, and daily drove it like that for a few years.

I am not recommending anyone make their own spacers, or to stack regular/available spacers up to 4"+, and run them,

I'm just saying 14 years ago, I made some one piece 4.25" spacers, and ran them on my daily driver with the stock coils (& screw on style bump stops) .

It rode nice, and no one died. Your results may differ.

:D

I'm just saying 14 years ago, I made some one piece 4.25" spacers, and ran them on my daily driver with the stock coils (& screw on style bump stops) .

It rode nice, and no one died. Your results may differ.

:D

Just to add one more thing,

I've actually been looking for a pic of this old MJ, around 96/97, with the spacers, and SOA,

running those 31's on this type of (Rebel Machine) wheel:

(4.5"bs worked pretty good with 31x10.5's :yes: )

316324168_tp.jpg

316324267_tp.jpg

Mine didn' have the trim rings, but were in a little better shape than these. :eek:

316324292_tp.jpg

FWIW, this auction for 3 wheels was the last I could find on Ebay,

listing price was $1099.00 :clapping:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Rare-AMC ... ccessories

I need to find that picture. ;)

• 3 months later...

I have them on my XJ + 2" "lift" springs. They do fine. The 2" spacers and the 2" springs netted me about 3.5" after a year. I really don't see how they could "fall" out even when flexed. However, I probably wouldn't do it again

The MJ front is getting 3" coils and the rear an extra leaf (an MJ main leaf, eyes cut off, and a 2" lift shackle.