Swaying dangerously . . .

On my way back from my Interview i got on the interstate to get home some what quicker :fs1:

Some thing cause my truck to swaying badly and its coming from the rear happens from 38mph-52mph, once you get up to 65mph it tracks straight and true for about 5-7miles then it slowly starts swaying again . . .

I pulled off checked tires all looked good nothing seemed out of the norm . . .

I got back took a few higher speed test drives and it did it over and over again didn't matter which direction your traveling . . .

So its not wind or road related it coming from the truck !

any ideas ?

Mike

Track bar ? care to fill me in ? . . .

with the 225/70R15's on the rear, 800lb's in weight and a topper truck would run right up to 70mph not miss a beat, i swapped over to the 235/75r15's tires i didn't notice anything then . . .

But then i took the topper off and unload the truck and shazzam it sway a bit here n ther nothing scary tho, til i hit the I-road today i really really noticed it ! INTERESTING RIDE . . .

So this some thing a heavy load can hide and now with taller tires and no weight it shows up ?

Mike

:eek: axle shift type of thing ?

:wall: spring's floating around ?

: :fs1: Shackle play ?

check for all of these ? . . . sure would explain the sudden U-joint type of vibration . . . a buddy of mine thought the axle had shifted but side wall to frame measured the same on both sides . . . May check it again now . . .

Thank's

Mike

More like all 4 long been shot, that's putting it mildly ! Steering shock is also rotten !

My shock's are rusty beat up and ugly, the steering stabilizer shock is leaky and rusty . . .

Mike

Yup, i got Tread wright MT retreaded tires which take 3,000 to "Break In" or "Seat" , on a truck with beyond bad shock's, and larger then stock tires 235/75R15's instead of 215/75R15's.

Adding to this i have no weight in the bed and i removed the topper and i have 215/70R15 tires on front causing the truck's rear to sit higher then the front Visually looks tough but this also transfers more load of the rear and send's it to the front, amplifying the fresh Retreaded tires and bad shocks . . .

This is how it was explained to me but whats going on ? :dunno: ? make sense to you guys ?

Mike

Swap the rear tires side to side and see what happens. You could have a radial run out problem. Some times when tire runs in the reverse direction it changes the tire tracking. Never know until you try it, & if you got a jack its free. Had a friend with similiar problem & he discovered he hadn't tightend the wheel nuts when he changed tires. Torqued them down & his problem went away.

I got 235's i was told its cause they narrow ?

Tread wright told me to run them 3,00 miles if its the tires it'll be gone after 3,000 miles . . .

The junk and rotten parts been there for years truck drove just fine till it changed the tires out is when the issue showed up, and once the weight was taken off it the issue got worse . . .

I'm not saying it ain't the truck itself, just saying after a bunch of new parts the issue my still remain for a while ;)

Mike

New springs wouldn't either , I'm sure If they are anything like mine , they settle to one side or the other the spring rates can

reduce causing a type of bump steer thats really not right , kind of feels like tire pull on wider tires .

Shocks are not that expensive as long as you stay out of the completely high end models like ( Tera Flex ) top end kits

for about 1500.00 .... :ack:

I'm going with the RE mono tubes for 319.00 a set . Stay away from the cheaper shocks cause they tend to ride

like crap-strava-ganza .

Not sure if the mono-tubes are going to be any good but I'm going to check it out .

Rancho 5000's is normally what i get, unless you Strongly feel other wise . . .

Until the spring thaw and i can't get back to work so that truck ain't getting :no: . . .

I just put a few hundred buck's into getting it running right again :fs1:

Mike