My new 2x2 MJ project .... 2x2

So a fellow MJer had this bed that was going to go to scrap, so I went and saved it. I then picked up a tail gate. I snagged the wheels from a guy on BMJA for $30. The tires are cupped bad, but have 1/3 tread. My tire guy saved them for me, so once again they were a freebie.

This project totals an astounding $80 ......

Any tips for an axle would be great. I was thinking of getting an old boat trailer and cutting and welding it up, changing the bearings to a 5x4.5 bolt pattern ..... any thoughts???

I'm sticking with the wheels, because I have an XJ on the same wheels and 33x12.50 MTRs, ill put some pix of my rig up later.

BMJA, does that mean your in PA?

If so theres Eastern Marine down in newark DE. They sell all kinds of trailer building materials (mostly boat oriented, but still axle blanks) I was down and got a new axle for my boat last year and I was amazed at all the stuff they had! I remember some pretty beefy axle tubes that would probably work for your application, then they also had hubs with different lug patterns so I guess its possible to find what ya need as far as that goes.

• 2 weeks later...

Update. I picked up this Mitsubishi Mighty Max pick up bed trailer, with some extra jeep goodies, for $150, with a title, etc.

Its a spring under step up with the stock axle, I was thinking of going to Eastern Marine in Newark, DE and get a boat trailer axle in 5x4.5 lug pattern. The Mighty Max is the same width of the Comanche, so it should be a decent fit.

I also picked up a truck box that I'm going to drill 2 holes into and mount onto the 2 tranmission studs that you can see protruding from the cross member.

Dirty as all get out.

The Comanche Bed is the LWB, this Mighty Max bed is a 6 footer, I figure with the addition of the truck box, it should be a good length, but i guess it could be cut down. I really need to just rest the bed on it to see what lengths I'm working with.

I also see a lot of Pintle Hitch stuff .... I assume its better offroad? Looks like it would flex, etc. a bit more. Should I convert to Pintle style?

with taht one it kinda incapacitates you :dunno: if you use that you can only haul that trailor with that hitch, and if the hitch screws up you have to rebuild it before you can haul your trailor :dunno: seems like a tremendous waste of time for one trailor. i would stick with the pintle (sp?) thing if anything, sence with that you will probobly find somone else that can pull it, or atleast chain through the loop.

• 3 months later...

So I got a trailer axle ........ $150, no too bad ...... from Southwest Wheel Co.

don't worry, it sits level when attached to the stock hitch point. Its just attached to my bumper reciever for the pictures.

You want to trade lights ........ no problem ....... I'm taking this beast to the PA jeep show this weekend. But after that, I'll pull'm off.

The only thing I need to complete this project is a set of Bushwackers to match my XJ. Anyone have any?

• 1 month later...