For a brief moment I thought they could bring Comanches back

Swanny

So I was cruising Google looking up Jeep info. I came across this interesting tidbit. Apparently in China, they still make the old fashioned XJ Cherokee. It's called the Jeep 2500.

Wikipedia source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Cherokee_%28XJ%29

Jeep China Source:

http://www.jeep.com.cn/jeep2500/home.html

So that had me thinking.... would it be possible for Jeep to produce another "old" Comanche? It doesn't seem that farfetched since they still have an active factory producing the old unibody XJ's. I'd buy one in a heartbeat, no questions asked, even if it was built in China. OK, well I might ask "what color?".

What do you think? If they built them again, would you buy them? Of course we would. How can we convince DCX that this wouldn't be impossible????

I've been told that DC sold the rights/plans to build the XJ to China. I would buy a "New" MJ in a heart beat, but I believe that DC couldn't even if they wanted to, unless they bought the rights and plans (which I'm sure they still have anyway) back from China.

But we can dream tho right? :D :cheers:

I don't think they can use the XJ/MJ unibody in N. America anymore because of reasons regarding collisions. That's why the Trans Am/Camaro got killed, same year methinks.

Actually the F-body platform (Trans-ams,Camaros) was just temporarily put on the back burner to increase Corvette sales, and to boost interest so people will snap them up when they bring them back in late 2007. It's all just marketing hype BS with those cars.

i can't stop watchin that nice intro flash on the china site. hmmm... i wonder how much to get one over here so i can hack it up and make a new MJ. lol. i don't see why the panels wouldnt fit but it would look weird since the rest of the body is more like the look of the old grand cherokees. i have a pic of a white one on the street somewhere. can't seem to find it.

Alex

I work with a guy from our Shanghai office and got him to look up the Jeep 2500 in Chinese. He said the 2 wheel drive is just under $15k and the 4x4 is $17k and change. Thats cool but from what I found online importing a vehicle can cost as much as it was to buy. Maybe we could just buy front clips and dashboards.

I don't think they can use the XJ/MJ unibody in N. America anymore because of reasons regarding collisions. That's why the Trans Am/Camaro got killed, same year methinks.

Actually the F-body platform (Trans-ams,Camaros) was just temporarily put on the back burner to increase Corvette sales, and to boost interest so people will snap them up when they bring them back in late 2007. It's all just marketing hype BS with those cars.

Really? Well, I've been out of the f-body circles for a while. Seeing as how a 2001 T/A goes for $40K+ here, I don't think I'm going to be able to afford one anytime soon.

i think i can say that the MJ was the last we will see of a jeep truck. since jeep thinks the gladiator would not make a profit and they say it is off no other platform and that the dakota is a good choice if you want a truck. lol.

Alex

how come chrysler engineers can't redesign a vehicle like that and maintain its origional roots while revamping the style and "re-interpreting" the look.

that cherokee is seriously the most beautiful thing ever. i LOVE the front end especially. and the fact that its a 2006 straight axle jeep 4x4 with all wheel disc brakes and decent ground clearance... amazing.

you know the best part? ITS NOT BASED OFF A CHRYSLER FRAME.