what's your take on antilock breaks?

The ABS in my wifes 08 libby works great. It spoils you once you learn its habits. I have no complaints with it or my 00 grand cherokee for that matter. The new stability program is great for my wife but I have dubbed her libby the "fun hater". It has corrected my attempts to over drive it faster than my reactions would have been able to normally, and I consider myself a pretty good driver. On the snow and ice if you try to take a sharp corner on purpose to fast it kicks in and in a split second you are right back on track. My MJ is the only thing without ABS and I wouldnt put my wife behind the wheel for the world(more than just the ABS), and she is a decent driver, but most people panic and try to put the brake pedal through the floor, and if the tire is skidding you have no control. The ABS in the 3 bonnevilles I have had all sucked however, as well as the traction control :headpop: .

Some ABS systems work great and others are really lousy. I don't mind the system in my Dad's '98 Blazer, but the one in my old '91 3000GT was a joke and did more harm than good. But, to discredit all ABS systems because you had a bad experience with a poorly designed system isn't fair. In an emergency situation WITHOUT ABS - what do you guys do? If I lock the wheels up and I need to steer around something, I let off and pump the brakes - happened to me last night in my '01 XJ when a deer decided to stop in the middle of the road and play chicken with me. Yea, I got around it just fine without ABS, but I wouldn't have complained about having a ABS pump to pump the brakes 50 times/second.

I'm not a fan of ABS either, I hate not having control.

for everybody who thinks that we need it cause people won't learn to drive smarter and safer,

take it out, and people will learn, i guarantee it, If the first time don't kill em.

I think they should get rid of all these damn safety features, ABS, Air bags, Traction Control, ect, ect,

put a metal dash back in and people would learn to drive a hell of a lot safer and smarter.

just my 2 cents.

well i guess my take on it is,

antilock brakes work, and they work REALLY REALLY well... so i see no need to disable them, or avoid buying a vehicle because of them.

the public being generaly $#!& drivers is a different issue entirely, and i think we should know how to do things without computer help just in case, but there's no purpose in fighting technology, just don't let it take over for you and make you stupid.

now if you had a bad experience with a poorly designed abs system i suggest you try it again with a newer better system, because it really is amazing stuff.

LMFAO.

no, ABS DOES NOT work really really well.

matter of fact, I've not once been in a vehicle with abs that worked properly, in any way shape or form.

the proper way to pump ABS would be to pump the brakes all at the same time, rather than alternating.

one locking up and then the other locking up is NOT pumping.

and, btw, after removing the fuse from the van, it no longer slides when you use the brakes.

I think I heard that starting 2012 all new vehicles will be required to have stability control, which means ALL new vehicles will also have ABS... one more system we really don't need to pay for, and one more thing that the govt is trying to do for our own good. The problem there being that stupid people are no longer dying and natural selection is getting all screwed up!

Defineately not a fan. I get the theory and all, but I'm not confident enough in the long term reliability of automotive electronics to have anything but a direct mechanical link between my foot and the brakes.

Thought I was going to have to change my tune a while back but instead I got a very firm reminder of how right I was.

When I was working for the towing company one of my projects was replacing the company's light duty wrecker. The old unit was a '97 Dodge 1 ton, 12 valve cummins, 5spd, with rear drums and no ABS. We purchased a 2002 Dodge 1 ton, 24 valve cummins, 6spd, with rear disks and ABS and switched all the gear over from the old truck. It didn't take long to actually notice the benefit of the ABS as the old truck had a tendency to lock up the front wheels on loose surfaces when loaded. I had the ABS kick in several times on the new truck under similar conditions and it worked very well. Then one day I had just dropped off a car after a 3 1/2 hour haul and was heading home empty. Coming up to a set of traffic lights I step on the brakes, the ABS kicks in, and 8000lbs of towtruck just keeps on sailing :fs1: Further pedal pressure has no effect and the vehicle in front of me is growing closer at an alarming rate. Now being that I haven't relied on ABS my entire life I quickly try pumping the brakes. This fortuneatley results in the ABS light popping on and the brakes reverting to non-ABS. I got stopped with about 4" to spare. I can still see the look on buddy's face in front of me looking out the back window of his half ton. :eek:. So I pull over and stop to collect myself for a few moments and when I start the truck back up to continue on my way the ABS light is back off. So I tentatatively bring the truck up to speed and try the brakes. Same thing, ABS kicks in but almost no stopping. Release the pedal and re-apply and the light comes back on and the brakes work. I stopped and yanked the ABS fuse right there. To the best of my knowledge it has not been re-installed.