Video of the stubling bumbling AMC-2.5er . . .

Swapped out the coil with a nice new unit !

Ran great for a while but it stumbled yet shockingly recovered on the way home today !

What to replace next ?

Ignition Module ?

Or

Fuel injector ?

Both look old . . .

Mike

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question ? how tight is the coil pack supposed to be in the Ignition module ? Cause my coil had no resistance it simply just dropped in . . .

the module looks corroded the whole casing of it looks rough . . .

Mike

I don't know about that specific module, but at oreillys we can test ignition modules, so you might check that out before shotgunning it

85-95% of the time truck run's perfectly, its an intermittent malfunction if it was the Module failing intermittently would the test show anything ?

Mike

Question ? how tight is the coil pack supposed to be in the Ignition module ? Cause my coil had no resistance it simply just dropped in . . .

the module looks corroded the whole casing of it looks rough . . .

Mike

It should clamp in fairly tight. Enough resistance to have to push on it a bit and hear the audible click of the prongs before you tighten it down with the screws.

The area around the ICU and between the coil is horrible for trapping dirt/debris, and there can be a lot of corrosion if it hasn't ever been taken apart and cleaned. I'd clean it up really well, and see if you can bend the prongs back so it clamps tight. May just be a bad connection that's causing the intermittent problem.

Ya I guess so, But i drive it every day i have no choice but to keep driving it . . . So I was wondering if it would show anything being intermittent . . .

I can't wait to get my tires and it would be awesome to have it running good when i get my tires !

Mike

For the giggles of it i pulled the air tube off and watched my injector spray fuel . . .

at idle it was a nice heavy mist, at wide open throttle the engine bucked and stumbled only hitting 3,600rpm and the mist thinned way out to almost like a vapor thin . . .

Injector related ?

or

Fuel pressure related ?

the idle spray looked good as it reved up the spray thinned out . . . Module tho ugly tested fine . . .

Mike

I'd check both.

There's a test port on the driver's fender side of the throttle body. Fuel pressure should be 15psi. The Chilton's manual lists 12-15 as an acceptable range, but I was told anything less than 15psi or fluctuations at different rpms is a big sign the pump is going bad. See if your local shop checks injectors. I pulled the injector from mine, and the machine shop put it on their bench, took about 5mins, and was free.

Possible fuel pump ? . . . Now that would truely suck, there aint but maybe 1,500 miles on the fuel pump and maybe 500miles on the fuel filter !

Sounds like a possible murphys law kinda thing ?

LOL maybe its time for a carburator ? ;-) LOL

15psi ya say ? No fluctuations allowed ?

Mike

Possible fuel pump ? . . . Now that would truely suck, there aint but maybe 1,500 miles on the fuel pump and maybe 500miles on the fuel filter !

Sounds like a possible murphys law kinda thing ?

LOL maybe its time for a carburator ? ;-) LOL

15psi ya say ? No fluctuations allowed ?

Mike

To the best of my memory, it was between 12-15psi (I'm searching for my manual to double-check, but can't find it at the moment) Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

When I was having a similar type of hard to diagnose problem, I was told that it should always be 15psi or at the high end of the range. That fluctuations or changes with rpms were a big red flag something was wrong. Maybe not the pump itself, but something in the delivery. Could be a clogged filter sock on the tank inlet, loose connection/ground, etc.

You said you've already done cap/rotor/wires, and checked the ICU/coil. Based on what you described looking at the injector, I'd work my way backwards> Check the injector, the TPS, fuel lines, filter, pump, and all wiring/connections between them.

:clapping: that's what i must do :smart:

Parts replaced as of yet:

Cap/Rotor/wires/Plugs/Fuel pump/fuel filter/Coil

Ignition Module tested-Good , but was told with it being intermittent could still be the problem.

parts left:

Injector / Fuel pressure regulator / Possible I-M.

oh yea and a bloody alternator :fs1: can't catch a break :wall: oh well i guess :dunno:

Mike

:wall: I'm down i'm down :fs1: i got nothing more then a fast idle, i made it about 100 yard's that was all she wrote !

:mad: I limped home at 2.5mph jerking and bucking the whole way :hmm:

i did take some video after i got the heap back home for ya :thumbsup:

:yes: processing now, i'll add as soon as it goes live :smart:

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U04poevHoWU

Mike

Where is the fuel port in this thing ? . . .

I have look all over it and i can NOT find the Tire valve stem looking deal for checking fuel pressure that my 5.7L GM & 5.8L Ford had . . . buddy of mine said i should be looking for a tire gauge on it looking unit as the other 2 unit had . . . I saw no such device :dunno:

I'm stuck at home :fs1: time to crush it ? :dunno: ?

Mike