Getting that extra inch (Driveshaft Q)

I can confirm the YJ slip yoke is longer. I run one myself. I can't remember how *much* longer, though. It's either 0.5" or 0.75". Also allows a much steeper angle without binding.

Edit: just checked my build thread. YJ slip yoke is 0.75" longer than MJ.

I can find 3.55 8.25s all day long for under 150. heck if you were closer, I'd sell you my extra.

thought about the front driveshaft yet? Will it work being 1" shorter?

Front DS came with the trans/case so that is covered.

Mvusse, awesome! Now, to futher that question, what drivetrain of a YJ should I be looking for for that yoke? P'n'P near me has two 4cyl YJ's if that will work.

The 27-spline GM Turbo 350 yokes LIKE THIS ONE work fine too. They use the Spicer 1310 u-joints and you can get them up to 7" long and cut them off to whatever length you require. The inner yoke may require grinding though on driveshafts with a higher operating angle. I used one on my LWB to gain an extra 1-1/2". It's fully splined too. :D

• 2 weeks later...

What if one were to go in the opposite direction. I'll be going from a BA 10/5 and NP231 out of my '88MJ to a AW4 and NP231 out of a '98XJ. I realize the output splines on the two transfer cases may be different, but anyone know off hand if the length of the driveshaft will need to be changed?

I don't remember anything about a change in t-case output spline counts over the years.

What if one were to go in the opposite direction. I'll be going from a BA 10/5 and NP231 out of my '88MJ to a AW4 and NP231 out of a '98XJ. I realize the output splines on the two transfer cases may be different, but anyone know off hand if the length of the driveshaft will need to be changed?

Are you adding any lift? changing axles?