Electric cooling fan

Thinking about putting an electric cooling fan in place of the mechanical one on my MJ. I have an Aux fan already (no A/C, part of the towing/offroad package). Could I wire the new electrical fan into the cooling temp sensor that is on the side of the radiator to control it? Does that sensor even control when the aux fan comes on? Does the aux fan come on at a higher temp than the other fan? Would this be a problem?

Switch in radiator would control electric fan operation. I think it comes on about 200 deg. and off at 190 deg. I don't think I'd run just the single electric fan. Summers can get pretty warm here you know and stop and go traffic might get alitte with just the one fan. You could probably run two electric fans controlled off the radiator switch. Of course you'd have to run another relay for the second fan.

i don't think u can just "run it into the thermo sensor"

theres a specific amount of electricity running thro that wire for a reason

and in my travels, one thing ive learned is to

never just splice wires into others....

imho if u want to go ahead, but i would just run a seperate wire for both to a toggle or the egnition

i have mine run to the ignition also, after 2 replaced thermo sensors that didnt work :dunno: pick n pulls suck sometimes soapbox.gif

No cooling problems, it actually cools too well. I think that the factory fan is stuck on because it is always spinning (maybe the fan is just grabbing a little bit and the fan is turning with it), and the truck never gets up to 210, new thermostat didn't help. I am not sure if I want to just replace my factory fan a new mechanical fan (sounds easier right about now) or if I want to convert to a second electric fan.

Is there any way to test the factory fan clutch to see if it is always locked up or if it is functioning properly? I can freely spin it with the truck off which leads me to believe it is working and just idling along with the engine running. Just trying to get the truck up to normal operating temp. I'll try aiming the laser heat gun at it while its at operating temp next time I am at work with it to see if maybe the gauge is off and the temp sensor took a crap maybe as well. :dunno:

I recently decided to ditch my stock belt driven fan in my 95 XJ while in there doing a bunch of other clean up stuff. I got the new fan installed (Flex a Lite Trimline series 16" fan) but didn't have a chance to wire it yet. I've been driving it for two weeks now with only the stock electric fan.

I've found that during normal driving there's enough air movement through the radiator that it doesn't even get hot enough for the stock electric to kick on. The temperature hasn't been over 35 degrees out but being a 4.0 it does warm up pretty well under the hood. If I'm parked or stopped long enough for it to hot enough the electric turns on and within 30 seconds it usually cools it down enough to shut off again.

I had checked out your write up over in NAXJA during my research for mine. Awesome job, I love how it came out!

I ruled out using a stock fan after I couldn't find any friends with some kicking around and junkyards jacked up the price to $75 or more for one (compared to the $30 or so I paid just a couple years ago for one). For $115 I purchased a brand new aftermarket one.

I also found that a stock one wouldn't even fit between the engine and radiator in mine, but that was a non-issue since I ended up moving the radiator forward to fit the aftermarket one I picked up as well.

I plan on keeping an eye out for good stock fans for spares and possibly to redo mine more similar to yours, and for future rigs/projects. I like how it keeps it looking almost factory. Plus it doesn't hang down nearly as much as my 16" does, which impedes on the area I wanted to use for a hidden winch.