New guy, couple comanche questions

So I'm about to be a new owner of a comanche. Unsure of the year right now, it was buried in a garage full of junk when I first checked it out. Its a 4banger, 4x4, 30/35 5 speed. Longbed. It runs good and just need tuned up for the most part, its been sitting for the past 2+ years in this guys garage (thankfully not the backyard like usual!)

So here's my question: In making room for this vehicle, I'm disposing of my old 94 XJ. Already too the newish radiator and coolant bottle, as well as all the hoses and heater valve assemble. Have some non technical stuff like skids to go along with it. But I'm just wondering what else I should snag that might be one of those things I might want to upgrade? Or have fail anytime soon?

Thanks in advance, and once this thing is officially mine, I will be able to take pictures of it and share!

First off, Welcome! :cheers:

It's hard to say without knowing the year of your truck. There really isn't much in common between a Renix era (86-90) 2.5, and a 94 4.0.

Why are you ditching the XJ? If it's because of rust or body damage, you might consider yanking the entire drivetrain, cooling system, and wiring to swap into the MJ. You'll have everything you need, except for a rear driveshaft.

A front skid and T-case skid will be a direct swap onto the MJ.

Looking forward to seeing some pics of the truck!

So I'm about to be a new owner of a comanche. Unsure of the year right now, it was buried in a garage full of junk when I first checked it out. Its a 4banger, 4x4, 30/35 5 speed. Longbed. It runs good and just need tuned up for the most part, its been sitting for the past 2+ years in this guys garage (thankfully not the backyard like usual!)

So here's my question: In making room for this vehicle, I'm disposing of my old 94 XJ. Already too the newish radiator and coolant bottle, as well as all the hoses and heater valve assemble. Have some non technical stuff like skids to go along with it. But I'm just wondering what else I should snag that might be one of those things I might want to upgrade? Or have fail anytime soon?

Thanks in advance, and once this thing is officially mine, I will be able to take pictures of it and share!

if you have the storage space, the entire front end, including doors (if its a 4 door XJ)

Thanks for the posts and welcomes!

I'm aware of the era differences pretty much, but just after reading some of the threads on here I see guys keeping the washer reservoir and dumb stuff like that, thats just handy to have :yes:

I'm ditching the xj because its old and tired, used to be m primary rig, but has engine troubles, and I inherited my current jeep from my wife when she got a new grand cherokee. So I swapped all my stuff over to that one (its an 00) and the 94 has just been there ever since. I've already sold the usable driveline out of it, including a 242 with a hack and tap SYE.

The truck has a 3" lift on it, and its still spring under, its probably gonna stay that way for a while, I just intend to DD it and use it as my fishing/hunting/truck rig jamminz.gif

here's my current toy XJ.

and here's my 94 pre un-lifting it

and its current sad state.

if you have the storage space, the entire front end, including doors (if its a 4 door XJ)

I think I may end up keeping the doors as well. If nothing else to goof around and make some half doors out of them.

Brought it home yesterday!!!

So now I have some real questions.

The brakes suck. I havent pulled a wheel to check the pads and shoes (tomorrow I am) but I noticed the load leveler in the rear is not exactly in working order. I just browsed through the DIY section but didnt see any mods to bypass it, or remove it etc. What would be some advice there?

Also I have no interior lights. They are in there, just don't work. I want to pull them out and put LEDs in but wanted to know how they are wired. I'm probably going to gut the interior, I can see holes in the floor and some makeshift patching going on. here's a pic for now!

Image Not Found

Hopefully your NEW '86 has the 2.5 :D

To answer the brake question........Most of us have removed the rear proportioning valve, and the extra brake line, and went with just one brake line, and made the mod at the front disputation valve.

More reading materials Here

Also........The drum 'self-adjusters' are junk, and don't work all that well, a rule of thumb is when you change the oil, you manually adjust the rear shoes. This will make a hugh difference on the braking power.

The B-pillars lights were just covered last week - http://comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopi ... =2&t=21565

Do expect some work on your New MJ.......it is 24 years old ya know :roll: