1986 AMC Model 20 owners... stock replacement shafts?

I was just poking around looking for replacement shafts for the 86' Metric Ton AMC Model 20.

Custom shafts shouldn't be a problem, but I was just wondering if anyone ever came across the factory replacement?

Both sides were the same length, and the factory part number for the shaft itself is(was): 53001 262

The entire assembly (w/ bearings, seal, retaining plate) is: 53001 524

Last listing:

OEM Catalog

Item Number MSRP Core Price

53001524 $199.08 $0.00 $149.31

SHAFT AXLE REAR AXLE

This item is Discontinued.

What are you guys running them planning on doing if you ever twist/break a factory shaft?

they did but in 86 (i think ) they had amc model 20s

You are correct. In 1986 the MJ Metric Tonne came with the AMC M20 rear end, higher load rated leafs and coils (with an extra 'overload' leaf in rear), and generally sat about 1-2" higher than non Metric Tonne 4wd MJ's.

As for replacements, I wouldn't know. I still want to swear that the '86 I had is/was a Metric Tonne, but there's no M20 in the rear, even though it sits higher, and has a factory looking extra leaf in the rear with a factory looking front coils as well.

Yeah, it was a 1986 MJ only thing.

I have an AMC (71 Javelin/AMX), and it's Model 20 is the same width as XJ/MJ/TJ/ZJ rear axles

(Jeeps inherited the 'AMC wide body' axle width from AMC Eagles),

and I've always wondered if the MJ one piece axleshafts were the same length/interchangeable with 'wide body' AMC cars.

Probably not, but I was just curious, that's all. :nuts:

they did but in 86 (i think ) they had amc model 20s

You are correct. In 1986 the MJ Metric Tonne came with the AMC M20 rear end, higher load rated leafs and coils (with an extra 'overload' leaf in rear), and generally sat about 1-2" higher than non Metric Tonne 4wd MJ's.

As for replacements, I wouldn't know. I still want to swear that the '86 I had is/was a Metric Tonne, but there's no M20 in the rear, even though it sits higher, and has a factory looking extra leaf in the rear with a factory looking front coils as well.

we must also remember they are jeeps....

yours may have been special ordered as a sorta almost ish metric tonne or someone may have wanted some life or cargo capacity and swapped the stuff in too. only way to now for sure is to do a vin check

I have an AMC (71 Javelin/AMX), and it's Model 20 is the same width as XJ/MJ/TJ/ZJ rear axles

and I've always wondered if the MJ one piece axleshafts were the same length/interchangeable with 'wide body' AMC cars.

In my opinion, I wouldn't see why they couldn't be interchanged. As long as they're both the one piece design, and are of the same WMS to WMS. But then again, that's an uneducated guess.

yours may have been special ordered as a sorta almost ish metric tonne or someone may have wanted some life or cargo capacity and swapped the stuff in too. only way to now for sure is to do a vin check

Well, I don't own the truck no more, but when I did run the VIN last, it showed as a standard '86 with the D35(which it has). So it may be possible special order; the build sheet would show for sure, but I never looked for it.

Sorry for the hijack Jim.

In my opinion, I wouldn't see why they couldn't be interchanged. As long as they're both the one piece design, and are of the same WMS to WMS. But then again, that's an uneducated guess.

Well, I don't own the truck no more, but when I did run the VIN last, it showed as a standard '86 with the D35(which it has). So it may be possible special order; the build sheet would show for sure, but I never looked for it.

Sorry for the hijack Jim.

hmmmmmmmmmm interesting sorrey about :hijack: ill stop now

AMC cars used 2-piece shafts (bolt together, like CJ's).

I need to dig out a set of AMC shafts, and measure them.

I'm thinking they were different lengths side to side, but I really can't remember.

MJ M20 shafts are the same length for both sides.

I would NOT recommend wheeling on an MJ AMC20 because the parts are hard to find.

I guess I'm stupid cause I swapped in an AMC20 into my wheeling MJ...

Parts are not at all hard to find. They are an identical housing as a WT CJ AMC20 besides the spring perches and the 1 piece shaft.

The reason the shafts are NLA is all the CJ guys bought them to put in their axles to cheaply solve the 2-piece shaft failure issues.

Their is a decent amount of aftermarket parts available for them, relatively the same price as any D44 part.

I would NOT recommend wheeling on an MJ AMC20 because the parts are hard to find.

:huh???:

Oh my.. I don't agree. it is rare that you would break a MJ-AMC20 I have never even seen one break. I don't know how may people even take extra spare rear axle shaft on the trail? it not very common to see a AMC20 or D44 rear axle break. it happens I'm sure but not very often. I run work my MJ20 hard and don't worry about it.. :cheers:

My point was, that parts are not nearly as available as a dana 44.

if you're like alot of us, used parts are in my price range...so, if I break a shaft, I'd like to find one used and cheap. I'd also like parts stores to know what I'm talking about when I go to order parts, and get it right on the first order.

it's not "stupid" to wheel on an m20...but it does suck when your only options in the unlikely event that you break a shaft is to buy brand new.