diesel swap?

Which diesel? Cummins 465V?Renault 4CV?. I've been looking for a diesel to drop in my J20 so I like the idea. Tryin to remember, which for me is getting harder to do, But awhile back Ford was making Diesel's for auxillary power use, welders, generators, etc, Might be something to check outAnd as much as I hate to admit it th e Japanese have some dandy diesel's should work.

... Diesel's for auxillary power use, welders, generators, etc, Might be something to check out.

There was a guy who has only been on here briefly but IIRC he took an Onan diesel generator and put it in his 86, did all the fab work himself. Pretty impressive, and incredible mileage I believe.

*edit* found the thread...

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14967&hilit=comanche+x+diesel

here in Europe are many cherokees and grand cherokees delivered with diesel engines.2.5 l 4 cyl turbo w/ intercooler in cherokees and grand cherokees have a 5 cyl 3.1 l TD w/ IC.,before Mercedes took over .I have a 98 mod cherokee with diesel,5-speed,NP231,and 3.73 gears as a DD.

I dream of putting a 4BT in my MJ :yes:

yeah, MJ4BT is a member on here, if you haven't seen his.............way cool

:yes: I have and it is awesome. It sounds amazing too.

The only thing i'd change is to put an some automatic in there (we have rocks out here).

I have a '64 ford pickup in terible condition. sence i have to refabricate the firewall i have been toying with the idea of putting the engine out of a new holland skid loader (bobcat) in it. Those engines are designed to run wide open all day and require little maintainance while still not using loads of gas (because those loaders don't have alot of room for a gas tank). The engine is also fairly small and the only issue would be getting a transmission hooked to it. The engine itself works off of a simple forward backward system, an I would definately need higher gears than that. That's just one take on it, i'll probobly end up putting a 351 cleveland in my '64 and just make it snatch the road up. I HAVE to put that cleveland in something and my maverick is a '75 which means it has to go through emissions (I hate emissions). I may toy with the idea of the loader engine in my MJ one day :D I doubt that was very helpfull but maybe it was interesting :banana:

I have a '64 ford pickup in terible condition. sence i have to refabricate the firewall i have been toying with the idea of putting the engine out of a new holland skid loader (bobcat) in it. Those engines are designed to run wide open all day and require little maintainance while still not using loads of gas (because those loaders don't have alot of room for a gas tank). The engine is also fairly small and the only issue would be getting a transmission hooked to it. The engine itself works off of a simple forward backward system, an I would definately need higher gears than that. That's just one take on it, i'll probobly end up putting a 351 cleveland in my '64 and just make it snatch the road up. I HAVE to put that cleveland in something and my maverick is a '75 which means it has to go through emissions (I hate emissions). I may toy with the idea of the loader engine in my MJ one day :D I doubt that was very helpfull but maybe it was interesting :banana:

Yeah, there's no mechanical transmission at all in there. Just a huge hydraulic pump running everything, including left and right hydraulic motors with a chain drive going to the wheels.

I think the Cummins B3.3T would be a good fit in the MJ, better than the 4BT because you have to have at least 6" lift just for the thing to fit. Unless you want that much lift i would sacrifice a bit of power & have an engine that fits better & is similar weight as the 4.0 (5lbs heavier).

Yeah, there's no mechanical transmission at all in there. Just a huge hydraulic pump running everything, including left and right hydraulic motors with a chain drive going to the wheels.

yup. i've also thought about using an old backhoe engine. they do have mechanical transmissions and a shuttle shift too which would be fun for playing in the mud because you can switch from forward to back in any gear. It would be a huge job and I'm not up to the challenge but it would be really cool to see the chain drive from a skid loader geared up like a bicylcle. it wouldn't serve much of a practical purpose but it would be really cool. Back to the bachoe engine, you can also swap out the transmissions in backhoes with one from a tractor. our ford 4000 tractor has the exact same engine in it as our ford backhoe but with a different trasmission, the main difference being there's no shuttle shift. the tractor also has 4 low gears and 4 high gears plus two reverses, so that would be very fun to put in a truck. you would have two sticks like a big rig and a three cylinder deisel puttering alonge at about 55 mph :D but it would get great gas mileage. the physics of it is phenomenal. backhoes can run down the road at very high rpms and barely waste any fuel. imagine how well it could do without all that weight on it. that engine wouldn't know it was in a truck lol.

yup. i've also thought about using an old backhoe engine. they do have mechanical transmissions and a shuttle shift too which would be fun for playing in the mud because you can switch from forward to back in any gear. It would be a huge job and I'm not up to the challenge but it would be really cool to see the chain drive from a skid loader geared up like a bicylcle. it wouldn't serve much of a practical purpose but it would be really cool. Back to the bachoe engine, you can also swap out the transmissions in backhoes with one from a tractor. our ford 4000 tractor has the exact same engine in it as our ford backhoe but with a different trasmission, the main difference being there's no shuttle shift. the tractor also has 4 low gears and 4 high gears plus two reverses, so that would be very fun to put in a truck. you would have two sticks like a big rig and a three cylinder deisel puttering alonge at about 55 mph :D but it would get great gas mileage. the physics of it is phenomenal. backhoes can run down the road at very high rpms and barely waste any fuel. imagine how well it could do without all that weight on it. that engine wouldn't know it was in a truck lol.