OME shocks for MJ's ?

Hello All New guy here,

I really appreciate the knowledge in this forum. and appreciate everyone's, especially Pete and Eagle's devotion to MJ Comanche's. I recently got bit by the bug and purchased a 1991 Eliminator, and sold my TJ. I installed a 3 inch Rancho suspension, and the RS 5000 shocks, those shocks are killing my kidneys is there a better riding shock like OME for my application? Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks,

JeepDoggyDog

Thanks for the tips, I looked up the 3 inch rancho shock part #'s from Rancho's site. It says that the RS5000 shock rear part number is RS5118. Interestingly enough the part number for the YJ wrangler with 2.5 inches of lift is RS5118. It appears that all I would need to do is buy the OME front for the Cherokee with 3 inches of lift, and the YJ wrangler rear for 2.5 inches of lift. :cheers:

OME shocks rule. They've been on my rig for 1+ years and they still ride amazing - on and off road. Alittle on the pricey side, but worth it IMO.

Nice rig you have, I just ordered the OME's today, I had them on my TJ at one time and agree what a great ride. I know some love the Rancho RS 5000, but for me they have to be the roughest riding shock I have ever owned. Thanks for all the input.

Dog

• 2 weeks later...

Well I tried to put in the OME's today, that is the N34 for a YJ wrangler (rear shocks)and they are making clicking and clunking noises like they are over extending over every bump. I only have a 3 inch lift so OME recommeded the standard N34. The odd thing is that when I extend the RS5000 and extend the OME N34 they are exactly the same length. The only difference I can tell is that OME is gas, and the RS5000 is hydraulic. I will be working with OME this week to attempt to rectify, but it doesn't look good.

If OME shocks don't work does anybody have a recommendation for another shock for a Comanche with three inches of lift? :cry:

i had these on my 86. i liked the ride. not bad on or off road either. and whatever is on my 91 is not bad but in the future i think i will switch to these also.

front; KYB MonoMax Heavy Duty Shocks

Image Not Found

rear; KYB Gas-a-Just High Performance Shocks

Image Not Found

Alex

Apparently (some one clarify this for me) there is another Jeep out there that the OEM front shocks measure out perfectly for a 3" lift. I believe it's a Wagoneer from some year. Someone help me out?

YJ jeep FRONT shocks from the same year will be a couple inches longer.

For the REAR, I was able to get a set of RANCHO extended shocks for my MJ.... I measured and checked and by mounting higher on the axle I was able to use these even tho I am sitting at about 5" of lift in the rear.....

CW

For the rear clunking I am going to try one last ditch attempt with some bar pin elininators, I have heard JKS being installed on XJ's in the rear successfully. For the front I measured the YJ shocks and they are longer;however it is sitting on a 3 inch lift. All I need for that is a decent bar pin assembly and I will let everyone know the results.

I loved the ride of the OME's on my TJ, so it has been worth the headache this far.

Thanks to everyone for the input.

bar pin eliminators won't work on the back. The shocks are regular eye mount shocks with bolts that go through the bushings.

i'd make sure that the bushings aren't shot and that the nut holding the shock on is properly tightened.

Got it thanks for the info, Iput the Rancho;s back on and no clunk from the rear. The OME's are brand new so I can't imagine what is "clunking" on them.

Well I measured the old Rancho shocks 21.5 inches installed on the rear, measured the new OME shocks fully extended 21.5 inches, the bushings look great, anyone have any idea why the OME's would Clunk and the Rancho's don't?

PS.

I also just mounted the 31 inch Cooper STT's Discoverer's on Outlaw II rims. Here is a pic.

showimage.php?i=7652&c=4&userid=9291

If the Rancho shocks are 21.5 installed and the OME are 21.5 fully extended, then it sounds like the OME are too short. Or am I understaning you incorrectly?

You are correct, but the OME N34L's are for 4 inches of lift or greater I have the N34 standard to 2 inches of lift, I only have 3 inches, I guess I am screwed...

Thanks for the clarification though,

Dog.

• 2 months later...

jeepdoggydogB, been doing some research for OME shocks for my MJ too. If you go to Quadratech's site, look up OME shocks, and they have a full selection of eye-to-eye (rear) and eye-to-pin (front) shocks. They give both the fully extended and collapsed lengths. Standard shock lengths for an unlifted MJ are 13.2"-21.1" (front) and 14.8"-23.0" (rear), according to the Monroe web site. I have been running Monroe SensaTracs for a couple of years now, and I know these lengths are right. So if you know what your lift is, it's easy to order the correct shocks. If you use bar pin eliminators (which I am going to do), figure in the 1-3/4" extension they will give you. BTW, anyone know of a cheaper source for OME springs? Thanks; Don

jeepdoggydogB, been doing some research for OME shocks for my MJ too. If you go to Quadratech's site, look up OME shocks, and they have a full selection of eye-to-eye (rear) and eye-to-pin (front) shocks. They give both the fully extended and collapsed lengths. Standard shock lengths for an unlifted MJ are 13.2"-21.1" (front) and 14.8"-23.0" (rear), according to the Monroe web site. I have been running Monroe SensaTracs for a couple of years now, and I know these lengths are right. So if you know what your lift is, it's easy to order the correct shocks. If you use bar pin eliminators (which I am going to do), figure in the 1-3/4" extension they will give you. BTW, anyone know of a cheaper source for OME springs? Thanks; Don

It's odd, but my Rancho RS5118 are almost identicle to my OME's. 14 compressed, 21.5 fully extended yet there was that strange clunking sound. I haven't had a chance to put the OME's back on and get to the bottom of the noise, but I should have some time in the next couple of weeks.

It's odd, but my Rancho RS5118 are almost identicle to my OME's. 14 compressed, 21.5 fully extended yet there was that strange clunking sound. I haven't had a chance to put the OME's back on and get to the bottom of the noise, but I should have some time in the next couple of weeks.

The OME 14"-21.5" is LESS extension than the OEM shocks (13.2"-24.4"). And with 3" of lift you are right at the extended limit of the OME shock. Could be why it's clunking. Odd that the Rancho shocks don't do the same thing though. What is the eye-to-eye dimension of the rear Rancho shocks you have on your rig now?

The OME 14"-21.5" is LESS extension than the OEM shocks (13.2"-24.4"). And with 3" of lift you are right at the extended limit of the OME shock. Could be why it's clunking. Odd that the Rancho shocks don't do the same thing though. What is the eye-to-eye dimension of the rear Rancho shocks you have on your rig now?

That's the other odd thing, the eye to eye deimension is 21.5 also. You can check the rancho site RS5118 is for the YJ wrangler and the MJ with up to 3 inches of lift. The equivalent shock for the OME YJ wrangler is the N34.

The RS5118 shock specs are 14.00"-22.25". Full extension for a stock shock is 23". These Rancho shocks should be clunking too over bumps it seems. A friend of mine has an MJ with the same lift as yours and Rancho recommended the RS5116 rear shocks (14.875"-24.000") for him, and RS5239 fro the front. And he's using barpin eliminators too which also add another 1-3/4" overall length to the shock. Sounds like your shocks might be too short, and you need to extend them. Bar pin eliminators just might do it.

The RS5118 shock specs are 14.00"-22.25". Full extension for a stock shock is 23". These Rancho shocks should be clunking too over bumps it seems. A friend of mine has an MJ with the same lift as yours and Rancho recommended the RS5116 rear shocks (14.875"-24.000") for him, and RS5239 fro the front. And he's using barpin eliminators too which also add another 1-3/4" overall length to the shock. Sounds like your shocks might be too short, and you need to extend them. Bar pin eliminators just might do it.

I asked that here in an earlier post, the rears don't use bar pins, so it looks like I might have to sell my rear shocks. It's odd that on Rancho's web page they recommend the rs5118 and show the rs5116 in Jeepster and gladiator era trucks. So back to the orignal question what OME shocks would fit a moderately lifted MJ. The safest answer is the OME fronts for the XJ, but where we are stuck again is which OME for the rears. :chillin:

I asked that here in an earlier post, the rears don't use bar pins, so it looks like I might have to sell my rear shocks. It's odd that on Rancho's web page they recommend the rs5118 and show the rs5116 in Jeepster and gladiator era trucks. So back to the orignal question what OME shocks would fit a moderately lifted MJ. The safest answer is the OME fronts for the XJ, but where we are stuck again is which OME for the rears.

Must have missed that. The MJ rear shocks do use bar pins. You can use the same bar pin eliminators (Rocky Road style) on the rear shock upper mount and the front shock lower mount. Adds 1-1/4" overall length to the shock. But even that might not be enough a 3" lift. Quadratech sells an OME 14.50"-24.50" rear shock which should work fine w. a 3" lift, especially using bar pin eliminators for a little more length. At least the math says it will.

I asked that here in an earlier post, the rears don't use bar pins, so it looks like I might have to sell my rear shocks. It's odd that on Rancho's web page they recommend the rs5118 and show the rs5116 in Jeepster and gladiator era trucks. So back to the orignal question what OME shocks would fit a moderately lifted MJ. The safest answer is the OME fronts for the XJ, but where we are stuck again is which OME for the rears.

Must have missed that. The MJ rear shocks do use bar pins. You can use the same bar pin eliminators (Rocky Road style) on the rear shock upper mount and the front shock lower mount. Adds 1-1/4" overall length to the shock. But even that might not be enough a 3" lift. Quadratech sells an OME 14.50"-24.50" rear shock which should work fine w. a 3" lift, especially using bar pin eliminators for a little more length. At least the math says it will.

Then that would be the ticket for the rears . It could be my truck is not stock I am at least the 3rd owner, but I can't see any bar pins on the upper rear shock mount like on the front lower shock.