steering wheel straightening?

YUP adjustments are made at the drag link. With the wheel straight as you can, climb underneath and loosen the bolts and turn the adjuster with a stilson/monkey wrench. Check the steering wheel often. Better yet, have someone sit on drivers seat and watch the wheel, holler out as you get close...

CW

YUP adjustments are made at the drag link. Lock the wheel straight as you can. Climb underneath and loosen the bolts and turn the adjuster with a stilson/monkey wrench. Check the steering wheel often. Better yet, have someone sit on drivers seat and watch the wheel, holler out as you get close...

CW

Actually, what my in-state neighbor means is DON'T lock the steering wheel. Get the truck so the road wheels are as straight ahead as possible. Turn off the engine but DO NOT engage the steering wheel lock. This way, as you make the adjustment at the drag link the steering wheel will move. If you have the steering wheel locked, adjusting the drag link will turn the road wheels and you won't really know if you've gone far enough, too far, or in the wrong direction until you drive it again.

YUP adjustments are made at the drag link. Lock the wheel straight as you can. Climb underneath and loosen the bolts and turn the adjuster with a stilson/monkey wrench. Check the steering wheel often. Better yet, have someone sit on drivers seat and watch the wheel, holler out as you get close...

CW

Actually, what my in-state neighbor means is DON'T lock the steering wheel. Get the truck so the road wheels are as straight ahead as possible. Turn off the engine but DO NOT engage the steering wheel lock. This way, as you make the adjustment at the drag link the steering wheel will move. If you have the steering wheel locked, adjusting the drag link will turn the road wheels and you won't really know if you've gone far enough, too far, or in the wrong direction until you drive it again.

:oops: :oops: fixed it...

:D

Thanks neighbor.

CW

My 31k mile MJ's wheel was turning to the left when I got it.

To straighten the wheel I had to bottom out the draglink adjustment,

I didn't see any evidence of a crash, or bent tie rods, so I figured maybe the ft end had sagged over the years, making the drag link 'too long' for the amount of lift it had (just like you have to lengthen the drag link when you lift the Jeep).

:dunno:

Another thing to check before adjusting the draglink(if you bought it like that) is to pop the horn stuff off and make sure the steering wheel is lined up correctly on the splines. It can go on wrong. I had the steering column fixed in my first XJ (the tilt stuff was all shot so it bounced around), and the guy that fixed it put the steering wheel back on incorrectly, so it looked like it was always to the left, even though the draglink was never touched.

Another thing to check before adjusting the draglink(if you bought it like that) is to pop the horn stuff off and make sure the steering wheel is lined up correctly on the splines. It can go on wrong. I had the steering column fixed in my first XJ (the tilt stuff was all shot so it bounced around), and the guy that fixed it put the steering wheel back on incorrectly, so it looked like it was always to the left, even though the draglink was never touched.

ill bet you thats it. there is a cherokee column in my truck. po replaced it. prob put it on wrong thanks!-