NOS Comanche Bed Side FOUND

sinkrun

putting it on the wall is the absolute crappiest idea I've ever heard of

Not a big fan of fine art? :dunno:

art is making something from nothing, not turning something useful into something that won't be used.

I'm probably a little prejudice because I got screwed out of one about 7 months ago...the company that had it said they'd hold it for a week, as I had to drive 4 hours to get it and couldn't take a day off work to do that...well, the day came, I drove up to get it and called to make sure it was still there, they said yes...get there, and find out they put it out with scrap because the idiot on the phone couldn't remember to write SAVE on the side of it.

I have been searching desperately for one since the 3800 got hit....that's almost 2 years now.

I've had AMC's for ~20 years.

Other than a poorly made patch panel, or two, they are not making any new sheetmetal for these cars.

So, when you see something NOS, for a 40+ year old car, you hold it in pretty high regard.

A buddy of mine has a set of NOS fenders for a Javelin (1971-74).

The fenders on my 71 have seen better days, but, at best, my Javelin is a nice driver. (= not a showcar).

Since there's probably only single digits of NOS fenders for this car in existence, even if he gave them to me, I would not put them on my car, so long as it was a driver.

Mint perfect panels like this belong on mint perfect cars that aren't going to be sitting in traffic, and get wacked by an '84 Corolla at a red light.

Maybe it's hard to explain, and even harder to put into the context of Comanche's (not too many show Comanche's out there),

but what if one of the original, mint, perfect Archer Race Comanche's was damaged as it sat in the museum? (tree took out one bed side)

Would you rather see it get a 20 year old beat up bed side that had to be worked back into decent shape, damage hidden with bondo, rot covered with patch panels,

or would you rather see the ace body guy get his hands on a perfect NOS panel, and put the mint perfect MJ back to what it was before the tree ruined it?

This is the Russo Steele auction that got hit by a storm last week:

http://picasaweb.google.com/tjmyers769/ ... 10Damages#

I'd hate to think the last NOS roof section that would fit this Superbird

DSC07061.JPG

DSC07064.JPG

was just used as a patch panel on someone's grandmother's Slant Six daily driver, and the $100,000+ winged warrior is gonna have a junkyard Satellite roof snotted in place instead.

I know this is a waaaaaaaaayyyyyyy over the top example when we're talking about Comanche's, and their NOS parts,

but since they're never going to make another MJ bed side (ever), I still hold their NOS parts in pretty high regard.

FWIW, other pics of the carnage:

DSC06910.JPG

DSC06916.JPG

DSC06917.JPG

DSC06985.JPG

The truck that I need a bedside for will never see more than 1000 miles a year again in it's life...it is my first EVERYTHING when it comes to projects. before I had it, I had one car...a beater vw cabriolet. I learned how to lift, fix, do 4x swap, non-stock motor swap, custom exhaust, welding, fabricating, interior, how to rebuild a trans, how to rebuild a motor, how to swap rear ends, how to replace glass, refitting electrical systems, fuel systems, EVERYTHING. add that it was a father/son project, and this thing is extremely sentimental.

I hope to one day be able to trust my kid enough to say "yes, you can drive this for your last day of school"...and hope to God that it doesn't turn into "yes, you're going to pay what it would cost for that to be fixed, then you're going to learn how to do it".

This truck will hopefully be around my family for another 40 years or so. heck, maybe I'll be like the guy who got buried in his corvette (would be a waste)...idk. but end result is I'm the kind of guy who needs OEM replacement parts rather than halfass used steel.

and the bedside that I found was $75, with a dent in it still after 2.5 hours of work done to it. it was one of those where it got dented and this body shop/wholesaler bought it to fix it.

DSC07061.JPG

DSC07064.JPG

was just used as a patch panel on someone's grandmother's Slant Six daily driver, and the $100,000+ winged warrior is gonna have a junkyard Satellite roof snotted in place instead.

I know this is a waaaaaaaaayyyyyyy over the top example when we're talking about Comanche's, and their NOS parts,

but since they're never going to make another MJ bed side (ever), I still hold their NOS parts in pretty high regard.

DSC06910.JPG

DSC06916.JPG

DSC06917.JPG

DSC06985.JPG

Sorry to go off topic but OMG what happen here. I can't even fathom what the owners felt like after this. Looks like Godzilla walked through the lot. :eek:

I think I paid to much for this one now I am worried I may get burried with it :eek:

The truck that I need a bedside for will never see more than 1000 miles a year again in it's life...it is my first EVERYTHING when it comes to projects. before I had it, I had one car...a beater vw cabriolet. I learned how to lift, fix, do 4x swap, non-stock motor swap, custom exhaust, welding, fabricating, interior, how to rebuild a trans, how to rebuild a motor, how to swap rear ends, how to replace glass, refitting electrical systems, fuel systems, EVERYTHING. add that it was a father/son project, and this thing is extremely sentimental.

I hope to one day be able to trust my kid enough to say "yes, you can drive this for your last day of school"...and hope to God that it doesn't turn into "yes, you're going to pay what it would cost for that to be fixed, then you're going to learn how to do it".

This truck will hopefully be around my family for another 40 years or so. heck, maybe I'll be like the guy who got buried in his corvette (would be a waste)...idk. but end result is I'm the kind of guy who needs OEM replacement parts rather than halfass used steel.

and the bedside that I found was $75, with a dent in it still after 2.5 hours of work done to it. it was one of those where it got dented and this body shop/wholesaler bought it to fix it.

Sorry to go off topic but OMG what happen here. I can't even fathom what the owners felt like after this. Looks like Godzilla walked through the lot. :eek:

Storm.

A really bad storm.

:(

Some of the cars look like they had car covers on, and the winds whipped the paint right off them.

Others look like the fist of an angry god took vengeance on them. :eek:

I think I paid to much for this one now I am worried I may get burried with it :eek:
The truck that I need a bedside for will never see more than 1000 miles a year again in it's life...it is my first EVERYTHING when it comes to projects. before I had it' date=' I had one car...a beater vw cabriolet. I learned how to lift, fix, do 4x swap, non-stock motor swap, custom exhaust, welding, fabricating, interior, how to rebuild a trans, how to rebuild a motor, how to swap rear ends, how to replace glass, refitting electrical systems, fuel systems, EVERYTHING. add that it was a father/son project, and this thing is extremely sentimental.

and the bedside that I found was $75, with a dent in it still after 2.5 hours of work done to it. it was one of those where it got dented and this body shop/wholesaler bought it to fix it.[/quote']

you should pm me what you paid. this one was about $300 underpriced, IMHO. I'm not prepared to pay $1000 for a bedside, but maybe we can figure out it's value.

I was the other guy that bought the a NOS bedside a few months ago. Got it at a going out of sale auction at the local jeep dealer along with 2 NOS rear bumpers. Sat in a warehouse for 23 years. And no I didn't get around to priming it yet cause of other jeep projects :roll: ......but it is in the nice warm house. :D

I've had AMC's for ~20 years.

Other than a poorly made patch panel, or two, they are not making any new sheetmetal for these cars.

So, when you see something NOS, for a 40+ year old car, you hold it in pretty high regard.

A buddy of mine has a set of NOS fenders for a Javelin (1971-74).

The fenders on my 71 have seen better days, but, at best, my Javelin is a nice driver. (= not a showcar).

Since there's probably only single digits of NOS fenders for this car in existence, even if he gave them to me, I would not put them on my car, so long as it was a driver.

Mint perfect panels like this belong on mint perfect cars that aren't going to be sitting in traffic, and get wacked by an '84 Corolla at a red light.

Maybe it's hard to explain, and even harder to put into the context of Comanche's (not too many show Comanche's out there),

but what if one of the original, mint, perfect Archer Race Comanche's was damaged as it sat in the museum? (tree took out one bed side)

Would you rather see it get a 20 year old beat up bed side that had to be worked back into decent shape, damage hidden with bondo, rot covered with patch panels,

or would you rather see the ace body guy get his hands on a perfect NOS panel, and put the mint perfect MJ back to what it was before the tree ruined it?

DSC07061.JPG

DSC07064.JPG

DSC06910.JPG

DSC06916.JPG

DSC06917.JPG

DSC06985.JPG

I'm gunna :hijack: but OMG !! :eek: don't tell me that that damage was caused by hail

Sorry for the sidetrack,

I thought you guys already saw this, guess I should've made a new thread. :dunno:

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2010012 ... /100129966

The Russo and Steele Collector Automobile Auction remained closed on Saturday as work crews continued to asses damage and clean up from high winds that destroyed two tents at the auction site in Scottsdale, Ariz., on Thursday night.

In a message posted on the Russo and Steele Web site, CEO Drew Alcazar said he would meet with consignors of the cars at the auction on Saturday morning. He added that the auction would remain closed on Saturday but that Russo and Steele would work to hold auction sessions on Sunday and Monday.

Alcazar said the auction site would not reopen to the public until it was approved by Scottsdale city officials.

During the storm on Thursday night, an 800-foot long tent broke loose from its anchors and blew onto a nearby freeway. Metal poles from the tent hit and damaged cars, while open-top cars at the auction received water damage from the rain.

Cars at the auction site received an estimated $1.5 million in damage, according to local media reports.

Other auto auctions in the Phoenix area--Barrett-Jackson, RM and Gooding and Co.--continued their sales on schedule.

News Video:

http://www.azfamily.com/home/Tents-coll ... 20467.html