transfercase swap question

i have an 87manche with a stock front d30 and np231 t/c with the vacuum actuated design and was wondering if i get a d30hp without the actuator what would be the best bet for a new t/c. i am planning a ax-15 swap in the near future and am looking for a non actuated t/c that will bolt right up and still work with the driveline and trans..what year xj/mj should i get my axle from and what year xj/mj and type of t/c should i snag...thx 4 the help

i have an 87manche with a stock front d30 and np231 t/c with the vacuum actuated design and was wondering if i get a d30hp without the actuator what would be the best bet for a new t/c. i am planning a ax-15 swap in the near future and am looking for a non actuated t/c that will bolt right up and still work with the driveline and trans..what year xj/mj should i get my axle from and what year xj/mj and type of t/c should i snag...thx 4 the help

If you're doing an AX15 swap I assume you have the AX5 or pugeot, either way your tcase will have different spline count (I think 21 for the AX5 and 23 for the AX15?) anyway the gist is you should get a tcase along with the transmission, not the front axel.

There's nothing different about a high pinion 30 without a vaccum disco and your stock d30 except for the lack of the vaccum casing on the axle...in other words it will fit you driveshaft and current tcase exactly the same way.

so can i just get a passenger side axle out of a newer cherokee without a cad and just cap off my vacuum lines at the t-case?? my 4wd indicator in my dash doesnt work anyway lol

Exactly.

But... Make sure your new front axle gears match your rear axle gears.

Always simple, often overlooked.

I have heard its not that simple but i am not sure. I read that the CAD axle seal is not made to seal around the straight axle???? I also read it in a off-road mag but who knows. It was something about the housing don't have a place for the inner seal that is used on a non disco and it can leak fluid and allow water intake. Also the inner seal fro the cad one will not seal on the straight axle. I will see if i can find the article for you but i don't know first hand. :dunno:

Cole