Lockers

I have 2 Dana 44's that I have rebuilt and getting ready to put back together. I was looking at the catalog looking for a couple of lockers to put it them. Frankly I was surprised at the selection offered. Hadn't messed with lockers for ah,,,well,,,a bunch of years and haven't kept up to date on them.I would like selectables but that's not a firm requirement. No serious rock crawling, Just off trail and slick, snowy road use. Asking for any recommendations on brands to get and ones to avoid.

Be aware that with a locked rear axle in the snow it is REAL easy to fish tail (intentionally or not) when making a turn from a still stand (stop sign/traffic light etc). Especially with no weight over the rear axle like a p/u truck.

This will not prevent me from installing an Aussie in the rear of my MJ, but it would prevent me from putting a non selectable locker in the rear of anything my daughter would drive in the snow.

I'm planning on putting OX lockers in my Dana 30 and Dana 44 in time... Cable operated, no air to mess with and doesn't need any electricity to lock or unlock. Simple mechanical activation, its either locked or unlocked, able to be engaged on the fly as well...

http://www.ox-usa.com

I personally know someone who has gone through 10 of their cables. I wouldn't recommend the OX to anyone.

I have had the ARBs but keep in mind that when engaged they turn the differential into a spool. I had good luck with them though and never had a problem with an air line.

People do speak very highly on the Aussie though I have yet to own one.

We do not have inclement weather out here so I am a Detroit locker guy for the rear of my MJ. :beerhead:

I like the idea of a cable over vacuam, electric. I would rather pay once for quality than twice for shoddy.

:agree:

I'm planning on putting OX lockers in my Dana 30 and Dana 44 in time... Cable operated, no air to mess with and doesn't need any electricity to lock or unlock. Simple mechanical activation, its either locked or unlocked, able to be engaged on the fly as well...

http://www.ox-usa.com

I personally know someone who has gone through 10 of their cables. I wouldn't recommend the OX to anyone.

I guess each to their own on this one. Is this guy's cable too short or did he just route it in the wrong place? I'm not planning on beating on my setup once I get it in. Sure I'll have fun with it but its going to be used for work just as much as it is for play. I need my truck to be around for me, I think thats the main reason I've never broken any parts on the trail. What most accomplish with the skinny pedal I can accomplish by thinking the obstacle through and idling over it in 4 Lo....

How did he brake the cables?

OX makes a bolt that you can put in the cover to permanently lock the diff if you break a cable or you just decide to run without one...

I run a Detroit in the rear of my MJ and have no problems driving it in incliment weather. I'd buy a Detroit for my next vehicle too, no cables, vacuum lines, or electric switches to worry about. It works well, and it's very dependable.