4x4/icy roads/not performing

Hi I,m new to the cc and haven't had my 89 for very long. Today here in Atlanta the roads were iced over. When going into 4h it felt like I was in 4l and there was alot of front stiffness. It has ran in 4h several times before today in mild weather and was ok. Is there a cold weather problem with the d35. Help, not much of a MJ mech YET!! I also have SOA the po did, could this be part of the problem? Want to go back stock soon as it is a nice truck and I'm going to resto it. :help:

The only difference between 4H and 4L is gearing. 4L has a 1:2.72 gear reduction. 4wd on ice makes it easier to get going, as well as keep going straight. Turning on ice in 4wd does not work very well. With a front locker, turning on ice in 4wd is near impossible. 4wd forces the front and rear axle to spin at the same speed. When turning, the front wheels make a larger diameter arc than the rear wheels and thus need to spin faster. That's where the problem lies.

thanks but I'm not new to 4x4 in just new to jeeps. The question is why is my truck only able to get up to speeds of 35mph in 4H feels like its in 4L. I had to switch back to 2H to drive faster. does this set up have a long warm up time ? too thick oil? somthing wrong with4H - 4L and not going into proper range. Has worked fine till the cold weather. 4winters in Alaska with chevy never a problem with temp affecting equipment like this. Don't know where to start to find problem. Anyone had this type problem before? Is having a SOA with stock front causing too much stress on power train? never had a 4x4 that had a 6-7" diff between front to back, don't really like it. :help:

thanks but I'm not new to 4x4 in just new to jeeps. The question is why is my truck only able to get up to speeds of 35mph in 4H feels like its in 4L. I had to switch back to 2H to drive faster. does this set up have a long warm up time ? too thick oil? somthing wrong with4H - 4L and not going into proper range. Has worked fine till the cold weather. 4winters in Alaska with chevy never a problem with temp affecting equipment like this. Don't know where to start to find problem. Anyone had this type problem before? Is having a SOA with stock front causing too much stress on power train? never had a 4x4 that had a 6-7" diff between front to back, don't really like it. :help:

You have to go through 4-HI to get into 4-Lo. Plus, there's a detent -- when you pull the lever straight back, it goes into 4-Hi and stops at a step or gate -- you then have to move the lever toward the passenger side before you can pull it farther back. Then it has to go through Neutral before it engages 4-Lo.

It does not sound from here like you have a temperature-related problem, it sounds like you have a mechanical problem. You mention having run it in 4-Hi before. Was this perhaps on dry pavement? If so, you may have fubared the chain in the transfer case, which could account for problems when trying to run in 4WD.

different gear ratios was one area I suspected as I have no idea as to what kind of mech PO was. I only tested the 4X4 for a 1/2 mile or so before purchase and it worked fine, but if that destroyed a jeep set up then I guess jeep isn't what I want. It is annoying the kind of responses that are coming in like I can't even put it in the right spot for 4 wheel. Guess the 80 chevy monster I built was just dumb luck. Been 4wheeling most of my 62 years just never had a JEEP. The mj is a solid running truck, lots of power, just doesn't seem to like cold weather. I have still got the first tank of gas in it as I don't dd it yet. Looking for those hard to find parts to resto in spring, then she gets the new look. Ther have been lots of recent work done by PO new front end, pressure tank, the SOA, but did he change the ratio when he redid the rear? don't know and don't have a warm shop here to tear down. Look forward to making a project page and swapping info with you guys and ladies. I am serious about a rear end swap if some one wants to do a SOA.

different gear ratios was one area I suspected as I have no idea as to what kind of mech PO was. I only tested the 4X4 for a 1/2 mile or so before purchase and it worked fine, but if that destroyed a jeep set up then I guess jeep isn't what I want. It is annoying the kind of responses that are coming in like I can't even put it in the right spot for 4 wheel. Guess the 80 chevy monster I built was just dumb luck. Been 4wheeling most of my 62 years just never had a JEEP. The mj is a solid running truck, lots of power, just doesn't seem to like cold weather. I have still got the first tank of gas in it as I don't dd it yet. Looking for those hard to find parts to resto in spring, then she gets the new look. Ther have been lots of recent work done by PO new front end, pressure tank, the SOA, but did he change the ratio when he redid the rear? don't know and don't have a warm shop here to tear down. Look forward to making a project page and swapping info with you guys and ladies. I am serious about a rear end swap if some one wants to do a SOA.

You need to back it down a bit there friend. You are lashing out at folks trying to help you. You post up questions with very little back ground info, on you OR your truck. Guys are going to start with the basics in situations like that. No one is flaming you. If you think that is the case, try posting your question at JU or someplace like that and see what kind of responses you get.

i would check the linkage between the shifter and t-case and verify its shifting correctly.i think its either not shifting correctly or something is hung up in the T-case

I can't see the SOA doing anything other then looking dumb and if you have used 4H before you would have noticed mixed gear ratios right away