Bump stop question

I have 3 inch new coils up front and hell creek 3 inch leafs in the rear.

What bump stops should I use if any?

Are they really necessary? Do they only protect the shocks? I will probably give in and buy the bilstein 5100 shocks and I don't want to ruin them if I decide to go over a curb or something.

Would you buy the extended upper stops or the bolt in lower spring ones?

On your DIY bump stop, does the bolt hit before the hockey puck or does the stock top bump stop hit the bolt? Nice write up, I think I'll try it. I may use a hole saw and drill out about a 1/2" of the top puck to make the fender washer and bolt head sit inside the puck.

Mac...

On your DIY bump stop, does the bolt hit before the hockey puck or does the stock top bump stop hit the bolt? Nice write up, I think I'll try it. I may use a hole saw and drill out about a 1/2" of the top puck to make the fender washer and bolt head sit inside the puck.

Mac...

The upper factory snubber hits the top of the hockey puck. It may hit the bolt head but it really doesn't matter. I find it easier to get a wrench in between the coils than I do a socket/rachet. If you recessed the bolt into the puck your going to have to use a socket to tighten things down as a wrench won't be able to hold the bolt head.

bumpstop choices are more dependent on your tire size and wheel choice than your outright lift amount. what tires/wheels are you running?

Also dependent on your choice of shock absorbers, because you want to snub the suspension before the shock absorber bottoms out. A few shocks are designed to also act as bump stops ... but most are not.

I am running 245/70/16 BFG all terrain tires which are a little small since I got the rear leafs installed. I plan on getting bigger tires but these are practically new. I will be using the bilstein shocks and I am going to see how the superlift 3" coils ride. If the coils are very stiff there won't be much compression so I guess I will have to get the front end installed and then flex it so see?