Once and for all: swapping in buckets

ORCA

Soo.. I've got 2 XJ front seats (a 95 and don't know about the 2nd) and MJ bucket seat brackets. Looking at where I'd have to drill out the XJ brackets, the MJ brackets aren't even close to lining up correctly. I'll get pictures alittle later when it warms up outside ;)

Which year(s) of seats work? 87-92? Whose actually been successful at doing this? I'm sick of my bench and also want a center console :brows: If I'm successful at getting buckets into my MJ, i'll be happy to write up some sort of how too on it. I just need alittle guidance first.

Oh and I searched too, didn't find what I was looking for. Thanks guys. jamminz.gif

Any year 84-96 will work, but not every style of seat is created equal. Only 2-door XJ seats lean forward. Power XJ seats won't work. The "rocking" XJ seats will sit you up higher that normal (can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how tall you are).

I successfully installed an 86 XJ curved bucket in my MJ's driver side using the driver side MJ bench seat mounts original to the 88 MJ I was putting them in. Everything was perfect except my head touched the ceiling.

See more info here:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=924251

About 1/2 way down the first page you can see pics of my truck with seats and brackets marked.

I have a box with the bench mounts if you need photos or measurements just ask.

I swapped in a XJ bucket seat to test fit it yesterday. i had like 6" of head room. However there was no headliner on the roof. i like the way it sits, but it is definately a LITTLE higher then the stock seats. I'm about 6" ish and i was comfy. I will take pics like Jage did if you want to see how my head looks against the celing.

If you look closely at the diagrams Pete posted, you'll see that the XJ "curved" seat base (the one used with the "rocking chair" option") has a shoter pedestal than the one for the "straight" XJ seat. I need to confirm with some actual seats, but I think that means if you put a rocking chair seat onto an MJ pedestal and keep the rocker mechanism, you're going to have a seat that's several inches too high. Either get XJ seats out of a vehicle that doesn't have the rocking chair bases, or remove the seat from the rocking chair and mount it directly to the tracks.

If you look closely at the diagrams Pete posted, you'll see that the XJ "curved" seat base (the one used with the "rocking chair" option") has a shoter pedestal than the one for the "straight" XJ seat. I need to confirm with some actual seats, but I think that means if you put a rocking chair seat onto an MJ pedestal and keep the rocker mechanism, you're going to have a seat that's several inches too high. Either get XJ seats out of a vehicle that doesn't have the rocking chair bases, or remove the seat from the rocking chair and mount it directly to the tracks.

That was exactly my experience. Removing the rocking chair part was way overboard, plus the mounts wouldn't line up then... no more easy. So I'm still looking for stock MJ buckets... maybe one of you shrimpkins would trade me for the XJ buckets and MJ brackets so you could see over the hood?

And I'm 6' even (not "ish".. what's that like 5'10.2" ?? :nanner: )

My point was that they stopped using the rocking chair seats in the XJ around 1989 or 1990. Chrysler didn't want to spend the money. I think any XJ bucket out of a '90 or newer (maybe '91) that doesn't have the rocking chair option will be a better fit.