Woohoo!

Jeepcom23

HO's are 'better' in most ways,

well, atleast until the voltage regulator in the ECU goes, and you need to get a whole new computer.

:doh:

Any 91/92 MJ owners out there might want to think about picking up a spare ECU when they see one cheap. :smart:

well, atleast until the voltage regulator in the ECU goes, and you need to get a whole new computer.

:doh:

Any 91/92 MJ owners out there might want to think about picking up a spare ECU when they see one cheap. :smart:

Ill keep that in mind. image_209027.gif

well, atleast until the voltage regulator in the ECU goes, and you need to get a whole new computer. Any 91/92 MJ owners out there might want to think about picking up a spare ECU when they see one cheap. :smart:

Not quite true. The NipponDenso alternators used in the HOs are quite capable of utilizing an aftermarket external voltage regulator ( the terminals are there) if the ECU internal regulator fails. The ND alts w. an external regulator are commonly used to upgrade older Delco and other alternators.

well, atleast until the voltage regulator in the ECU goes, and you need to get a whole new computer. Any 91/92 MJ owners out there might want to think about picking up a spare ECU when they see one cheap. :smart:

Not quite true. The NipponDenso alternators used in the HOs are quite capable of utilizing an aftermarket external voltage regulator ( the terminals are there) if the ECU internal regulator fails. The ND alts w. an external regulator are commonly used to upgrade older Delco and other alternators.

I've read stories of others who tried to use an external regulator on Mopars that originally had them in the ECU,

even the successful stories, where they got it to function, ended with a constant Check Engine Light being on (and a replacement computer being needed before they could get an inspection sticker).

Were you able to replace the regulator on an OBDI Jeep without getting a CEL?

The voltage regulator failed in a friends Durango (OBDII),

The first two shops replaced the alternator. :ack:

Then he finally brought it to the dealer, they were able to diagnose it, and replace the ECU, but it wasn't cheap. :doh: :doh: :doh:

About a month later he started to tell me the story, and I said "sounds like the regulator in the ECU went bad" :rotfl2:

Were you able to replace the regulator on an OBDI Jeep without getting a CEL? :rotfl2:

Yes I did, on a 96 XJ I had when stationed in Guam that was the POS cross-over year between OBDI and OBD2. I did wire in an external regulator (Niehoff I think it was) that did work w/o a CEL for that particular fault. But that XJ had a CEL ON more than OFF. I wasn't about to spend $$ on this thing and learned some creative wiring techniques to keep it going until I left the island. I sold it to a local before I left. :cheers:

I passed through Guam a few years later, and the XJ was still in use as a taxi still going strong.