Heat shrink butt splicing wires.

If you haven't tried these you should. They are the next best thing to sliced bread. No more holding wires together and a soldering iron while trying to feed solder to the wire. Just stick the wire in each end and heat it with your heat gun. I've even had good luck with a Bic lighter. The finished connection is as good as you'll get with the soldering iron and the diameter is as close as you'll ever get to the same as the original wire. I've even done multiple splices at once when modifying a connector. I love these things...

Mac...

elektralink-splices-sm.jpg

No they can't they're not crimped. The solder inside the tube melts. That's what the heat gun is for. You end up with the wires soldered together the same as if you used a soldering iron. The tubing has a higher melting point then the solder and just shrinks.

You know I can't tell you how many times I've tried to smash that little flea. ;)

Enough room to slide it back over the wire, splice together, then heat?

I usually slide it back on one wire then just butt the 2 wires together so they overlap and intertwine with each other. I strip about a 1/4 to 3/8 inch of insulation off each wire. When you heat it you can see the solder flowing onto the wire because the heat shrink is translucent. So, you know your done when the solder flows. I think they come in different gauges.

Mac...

Enough room to slide it back over the wire, splice together, then heat?

I usually slide it back on one wire then just butt the 2 wires together so they overlap and intertwine with each other. I strip about a 1/4 to 3/8 inch of insulation off each wire. When you heat it you can see the solder flowing onto the wire because the heat shrink is translucent. So, you know your done when the solder flows. I think they come in different gauges.

Mac...

That's the way I figured they'd be safe to use.... sweet.

Your picture shows what looks like plastic crimp connectors with the internal metal crimp sleeve. A heat gun will not melt solder inside w/o melting the plastic insulation. Do you have a link to this connector?

I've used these also... they are basically dummy solder + shrink wrap's in one... Heat enough to melt the little solder balls inside positioned over the wire connection and then the shrink wrap "shrinky-dinks" up and makes everything happy. I need to get some more...I can't find my electric soldering gun and my portable one is out of gas... I wish I had a handful of these things now...

NO crimping involved...

Use them all the time at work... They work great Don! I like the ones you crimp, then shrink/solder.... I think they are called a superbutt connector...

Here is a link to our supplier at public works Don.

http://terminalsupplyco.com/Store/Defau ... Categories

We have both kinds... One just as a ring of solder and shrink. One looks like a shrink wrap butt connector, you crimp, with solder in the middle. Heat it up, it melts the solder, and shrink wraps it tight...

Rob L. :D

In the first sentence of my original post, click on the word "these". I should have made it a different color. Click on the "lerning center' on that link it shows the method. I prefer a heat gun since the propane torch I use leaves soot on the shrink wrap. I still do a lot of it the old fashion way, for butt connections these work great.

Mac...

In the first sentence of my original post, click on the word "these". I should have made it a different color. Click on the "lerning center' on that link it shows the method. I prefer a heat gun since the propane torch I use leaves soot on the shrink wrap. I still do a lot of it the old fashion way, for butt connections these work great.

Mac...

i spent 40 bux on the snap on truck and bought a mini torch, it's a blue point piece, part number torch4 .... works pretty good, even in moderate wind, which is good cause i usually use it 14 feet up in the air fixing light wires on semi trailers....

These are handy and seem to work well but I wouldn't say it is a good a what you could do with a soldering iron. The thing that concerns me is you can't control the solder flow. Also, solder generally melts at 300 to 400 degrees depending on the composition of it. There are some low temp solders in the 275 degree range. Even at that temp you will cause the insulation to melt a bit. When you solder, you never melt the solder onto the metal, you heat the metal to melt the solder. Melting the solder onto the metal will give you a cold solder joint which will not be the best for connectivity and may vary the resistance at that point. Heating up the insulation to the point it losses its bond with the wire will cause small air pockets that could allow moisture to gather and further degrade your connection. These look great for quick repairs but I'll stick with my iron and solder for permanent connections. :thumbsup:

:cheers: