64" leaf springs

Is it possible to put a set of 64" or 62" leaf on an MJ with out major modification? Has anyone done this before?

I gotta ask... why? :hmm:

Where is the centering pin drilled in them? How much arch? What are the goals for the truck?

The goal of the truck is more Jeepspeed but still be able to be daily driver. I was thinking a 4 link but don't want to break the bank on coilovers and bypass shocks as well as not being able to use the truck for a few weeks till the fab work is done. It will be attached to a trust 9" with Detroit and disc brakes. The leafs will also go under the axle as to not lift the back so high. I'm not exactly sure of the specs of the leafs but can find out real easy. I was just curious if it has been done before or even possible.

The goal of the truck is more Jeepspeed but still be able to be daily driver. I was thinking a 4 link but don't want to break the bank on coilovers and bypass shocks as well as not being able to use the truck for a few weeks till the fab work is done. It will be attached to a trust 9" with Detroit and disc brakes. The leafs will also go under the axle as to not lift the back so high. I'm not exactly sure of the specs of the leafs but can find out real easy. I was just curious if it has been done before or even possible.

:huh???:

I would assume you would want to keep it leaf under then?

While looking into it way more deeply this afternoon, I discovered that the leaf kit with shackles would run about $1700. So forget that. I'd rather save $1200 and not gain 5 extra inches of wheel travel and not have to deal with the headache. I could build a nice 3 or 4 link with coilovers for that price.

Your's isn't stock though, which is why I was asking. The stock ride in a (non-MT) MJ is pretty nice. cheap shocks can kill that ride though.

So how about something junkyard for a 3" lift....wagoneer or something?

Look into Deaver leaf springs. I think they make a 58" eye to eye that may work. Those are some really nice smooth riding springs.

:doh:

You do realize that Deaver makes everything custom to order? They will make anything for what you and your application need.

Deaver really knows their stuff and they are HUGE into the Jeep Speed world. They even make leaf packs for other vendors (i.e. Currie).

This whole thread has me scratching my head......I hope Crazy Jim chimes in here but leaves for Jeep Speed need to hold up to an amazing amount of punishment. Beleive it or not, leaves WITH an arch are better for Jeep Speed as opposed to flatter leaves. They will ride better at high speed and the will resist being over flexed better. Once a leaf pack is flexed too far it'll just, well, die. Longer leaves (which is what this thread is about) will potentially flex more (than shorter leaves) which is better for rock crawling but doesn't make sense to me in the world of Jeep Speed as flex is secondary to hard impacts and quality of travel.

I have met VERY few that know more about leaf springs than Scott and Jeff at Deaver. Just pick up the phone and tell them you have a Comanche and you want a leaf pack for Jeep speed. They might ask questions as to your specific rig but for the most part they will know exactly what you need. They are pricey (maybe more than linking your rear end) but your have it done right and if not, they'll rebuild and change the pack for your needs. jamminz.gif

Deaver makes a lot of over the counter packs that range from Chevy to Ford to Toyota. Yes, they will make you a custom pack but so will just about every other spring company. They are the best around at what they do for sure.

I know the H70 is 55" from eye to eye straight, and 62" eye to eye along the arch. That is pretty close to the MJ.

......I hope Crazy Jim chimes in here

I think he did. I checked with Deaver a couple of years ago and they wanted $800 for custom packs. Yes , you could run a 62"-64" pack and probably find F67 or F55 packs used for around $400. Anything with more than 9-10" of free arch will give you lift SUA. You need to line up the center pin/center axle in the wheel opening to find out where your mounting points will be. I would think that the front eye would move forward, you might get away with just using longer shackles in the rear, which would work out well and net you some decent travel.