Rear shocks

I hope this question hasn't been beaten to death but I did some searching without much luck so I figured I just ask.

I have an 88 MJ with 3.5" Rubicon Express Super Ride lift kit in the front and 3" Hell Creek springs in the rear. I was replacing the existing lift kit on the front end (don't know the brand it was there when I bought it) today with the 3.5 Rubi kit and while I had the front axle on the jack stands (the entire weight of the front end on the axle) I noticed that the shocks at full extension only go about an inch lower than the mount before they are out of travel so I am assuming that they are for a stock height and not a lifted truck. I want to order new shocks for it and wondered if the rear shocks for a Cherokee with the same size lift will work. I was thinking of getting the RE shocks I assume they would be good to use with the kit that I have. I mainly use the truck on the on the road and in the snow I also do accasional hauling up to 1000lbs, ride quality is important to me since it is a daily driver.

I know a lot of you have the same lift as I am running what shocks are you using?

while I had the front axle on the jack stands (the entire weight of the front end on the axle) I noticed that the shocks at full extension only go about an inch lower than the mount before they are out of travel so I am assuming that they are for a stock height and not a lifted truck. I want to order new shocks for it and wondered if the rear shocks for a Cherokee with the same size lift will work.

:???:

Are you aware that the mounting for rear shocks, XJ or MJ, is completely different than the front shock mounting? You can't use rear shocks of any length from an XJ or MJ in the front.

while I had the front axle on the jack stands (the entire weight of the front end on the axle) I noticed that the shocks at full extension only go about an inch lower than the mount before they are out of travel so I am assuming that they are for a stock height and not a lifted truck. I want to order new shocks for it and wondered if the rear shocks for a Cherokee with the same size lift will work.

:???:

Are you aware that the mounting for rear shocks, XJ or MJ, is completely different than the front shock mounting? You can't use rear shocks of any length from an XJ or MJ in the front.

Yes, very aware. I would like to buy a set of shocks for a lifted XJ to use on my lifted MJ and install the front shocks on the front and the rear shocks on the rear but I do not know if the rear XJ shocks will work by how they mount or if the length is correct. I know plenty of other people here are using the same suspension set-up that I am and are wondering what shocks they used.

MJ rear shocks are longer.

I took the cross pins out of a set of almost-new XJ rear shocks and tried to put them into a stock MJ. With the shocks fully extended, they were 1/2" too short to even go onto the mounting studs.

If ride quality and handling is important, you can't beat OME shocks. I have about the same lift as you, am running MT rear leafs, and use OME #N40L for the rear using the stock mounts. Travel is 15.6"-25.8", and it's actually a ZJ shock, so you have to press out the upper bar pin to mount them.

Bilstein's are also a good choice but I don't know the correct p/n for them.

Thanks for the info, after checking out reviews and prices the Bilstein and OME look very evenly matched on everything so I think I am going with the Bilstein 5100's since they are a bit cheaper and I like the looks of them better.

I will get a set of F4BE56248H5 for the rear which have an extended length of 25.930" and a collapsed length 15.910" and a set of BE56241H8 for the front that are for XJ front with 4" lift.

Thanks for the info, after checking out reviews and prices the Bilstein and OME look very evenly matched on everything so I think I am going with the Bilstein 5100's since they are a bit cheaper and I like the looks of them better.

I will get a set of F4BE56248H5 for the rear which have an extended length of 25.930" and a collapsed length 15.910" and a set of BE56241H8 for the front that are for XJ front with 4" lift.

Good man.

Post up when you have it all installed. Let us know what you think.

paint

Why put the time and effort into that when I can buy a shock with the same performance for a couple dollars cheaper and with the paint I like? Plus I have owned Bilsteins before and have had no complaints with them. I'll put that time and effort on everything else that it needs right now and trust me, that is a big list!

Why put the time and effort into that when I can buy a shock with the same performance for a couple dollars cheaper and with the paint I like? Plus I have owned Bilsteins before and have had no complaints with them. I'll put that time and effort on everything else that it needs right now and trust me, that is a big list!

What time and effort? Pressing out the bar pin took like 3 minutes. But there's a better reason I buy OME/ARB products - I have a relative who works for them and I get a good discount. :cheers: And they make good stuff.

Here's the link to the spec sheet for Edelbrocks. I bought a set of T100 rear shocks which measured out for what I would need for a 3" lift. Just installed them recently and they ride fantastic. If they still have your size in stock (don't just look at the Jeep ones, find which part number works for you and then find what application it is available for), you can't beat them for $30 each. They are $90 retail, as Quadratec still sells them at that price. A lot of other guys on here got them when Edelbrock put them on sale, everyone reported back very positive. FYI, the dimensions you listed are almost identical to the ones I got with the T100 shocks.

http://edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mis ... l_2008.pdf

What time and effort? Pressing out the bar pin took like 3 minutes. But there's a better reason I buy OME/ARB products - I have a relative who works for them and I get a good discount. :cheers: And they make good stuff.

Painting takes time and effort or at least doing it correctly.

fyi, they still have the T100 shocks available......part#3474

Got any idea who makes their T100 shocks Wahoo? Far as I can tell, the T100 is their standard gas shock, kind of like the Monroe Sensatrak junk.

No I don't. I could believe they may have different mfr's for the different shock products, I.E., the Performer IAS is their standard shock, the Xtreme IAS next up, then the remote resevoir top-O-da-line units, but I would doubt they have different mfr's within each product line depending on the application. I'm not sure if that's what you meant when you asked who makes the "T100 shock" as you referenced. That being said, I chose the rear shock from the 4wd T100 for a couple of reasons: 1) it's dimensions were in line with what I needed since there was no specific MJ rear shock app, and 2) with me having MT springs and generally hauling above average payloads from time to time, the weight of the T100 (I checked the GVWR of a T100 vs. an Metric Ton MJ, not too far off) in relation to valving etc. would be a reasonable match.

Anyhoo, I know the Bilsteins are the best in many people's opinion, and OMEs are highly regarded too. I'm not trying to pimp these as a replacement for the Bilsteins, or even the OMEs (but for argument's sake, maybe they could be), I'm just pointing them out as another option and a heck of a good buy. As for the Monroe's, I think a lot of guys on here would disagree they are junk, especially for the price. :dunno:

T100 Toyota, not T100 a model of Edelbrock shock. :doh: So you got the Performer IAS shocks, right?

I've had bad luck with two out of four new Sensatraks blowing out in a year, so I don't buy them anymore. Maybe I got a bad batch.

I knew what you meant as far as it being a Toyota, it just read like you were saying the shocks for a T100 may be made by someone different than a Performer IAS for, say, a Nissan Frontier or Jeep Cherokee. They appear to be well made and have gotten some good press, but only time will tell. I remember now that you had a bad experience with the Monroes.. I should have stated that my feedback on these shocks should be taken with a grain of salt because I only put about 3k miles per year on my truck, I don't really "wheel" it, and the Gabriels I took off it were tired for sure, so whatever I put on would be an immediate improvement. I'll report back with more detail in about 5yrs, how's that LOL? ;)