My rebuild (some humongo pics)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you should put an AW4 in there. :brows:

The AW4s with the right bellhousing are rare...

But that 4.56 geared cherokee would have one, methinks!

It does, but we just got the rebuilt tranny last year! And we're trying to restore the truck with slight modifications, otherwhise it'd have a much different motor.

kassidy, i feel safe to say that your truck is horridly slow, and I'm sorry you have to deal with that. i think my uncle's model T is faster...and that thing's hand start!

Yeah, I'm past the denial stage, and I guess I'm okay with it now.

Once the axle swap's done on this truck, I'll be putting a rotary into my '78 Yota and selling my '84 Yota to pick up another Comanche. That one'll be for power.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the new axles under the Jeep. Dana 30 and 35 again, but this time around with 4.56 gears from a Cherokee. Was a breeze burning new spring perches onto the axle. Not sure why I don't have pictures of them installed...

I also installed a new brake master cylinder, adjusted the push rod, and bled the brakes 3 times. They're still scary bad though. The booster is fine, and brakes on all 4 corners are new, so I'm thinking it's the combination valve. :dunno:

My Toyota proved to have a good place to haul the axle around:

I've also decided to start looking for a used selectable locker for the Dana 35. I don't see myself breaking the axle and I need the traction. On top of that, so many other people are breaking the axle that there are alot of used lockers out there.

• 1 month later...

Motor gets pulled next weekend.

The shop that built the motor needs me to send it to them (200+ miles away) and they'll re-rebuild it and send it back to me, so I'll be Manche-less for about a month :cry:

I finally took some lift measurements too.

For rear lift:

factory height is 9.2" from rear axle to frame

my height is 10", so only .8" of lift with 2.25" lift shackles.

For front lift:

factory height is 17.5" from the center of the front hub to flare

my height is 21.75", so 4.25" of lift with 3" coils and 1.75" spacers

Here are my rear springs:

Time for me to order some new coils and leaf packs!

And I got a bumper on the front. Stock (painted), but it'll do for now.

I'm quite glad I got the center caps on those wheels as well. Added some flair.

• 5 months later...

It's been awhile since I've updated anything on here. Been waiting for Global Engines to send my motor back.

Ordered the 97+ front end from Offroader461 off of here, and I've got some interior pieces coming from Pat. Also have new rear axle bearings and seals that need to go in, along with a passenger side wheel cylinder.

Once I get all that in, the truck'll be getting a new rear suspension, since Global's paying me $20/hour to pull my motor out and put my motor back in. I'm going with either Rusty's 4" springs, Hellcreek's 3" springs, or 3 link. Deciding factors are if Hellcreek can hook me up with a good deal and the weather, cause I'm not going to link it in the winter.

Lastly, I'll be painting the truck.

Does anybody have any lines on used '97+ taillights? PM me if you do.

mite want to edit the POTS sign out the pics b4 someone spots it.

"Those aren't real." The ones on that wall are actually ones from my dad's construction sites that were being pulled down, so they're legit to have.

and how do those leaves on the toy work for you? thaught something like that up a few years ago and havent seen anyone do it b4

The leaves caused some axle wrap, but with the amount of flex that they offered, they kept traction pretty well, and with 283k on that motor, horsepower wasn't too much to keep under control. Sold that truck though :cry:

I don't think I'd do it on a truck in need of a diet like my Comanche, or on a torque monster.

did u consider a "u pull it" from the local JY while this one is in the shop getting repaired :hmm: just a thought nice job on what you have done so far jamminz.gif

Eh, I've got my A4 and RX to drive right now. It'd really be throwing money out the window to put a junkyard motor in just to pull it out again.

I've decided to link the rear. Hellcreek quoted me a great price on their 3" springs, but I think I can link it for the same amount or less and have the performance that I'm after.

I need to decide on my rod ends though. Probably be going with something middle of the line, possibly cartridge joints.

The ends need to be semi-beefy, as I have the 2.5, an auto, and a light weight rig.

And I'll be using the 3-link calculator, but I have something simple in my mind like this:

The lowers would connect under the frame, and the upper on the side of the frame, with the coils sitting under the frame and a panhard on the rear of the axle.

Excel 2007 won't support the calculator cause it can't read the formulas but I drew this up:

I'll have to look over the truck some more but it should clear everything fine, or at least the idea of it will.

Just going with square tubing, but, like I said, have to decide on rod ends and also coil buckets.

• 4 weeks later...

All the pics are clickable, but here's the supply list. I may end up buying the brackets I posted, since they're so cheap, it seems worth it to spend the extra couple bucks.

Rod ends for the axle side of each link and panhard:

3/4" CrMo, 0.875" mounting width, 28,081 lbs static load rating

xm12.jpg

Polyurethane bushings for the frame side of each link and panhard:

polybushing.jpg

Panhard mount:

panhardmount.jpg

3-Link mount:

3linktowera.jpg

Lower link frame mounts:

3framewedge1.jpg

3-Link frame mount:

innerframemounta.jpg

Lower link and coil mounts:

flatbottomlinksa.jpg

Any thoughts on the rod ends? I think they should be strong enough for my truck. My tires are tiny, I have a 4-cyl auto, and I don't wheel like there's no tomorrow.