Stock factory divetrain options

Did the MJ ever come with a AW4/242 combo from the factory for a shortbed? Reason I ask is because I'm dropping that and a 4.0L in my shortbed and I'm going to need a rear driveshaft...if they made them from the factory with that option I should be able to locate a rear driveshaft for it and not have to cut the one from my 2 wheel drive down.

I think AW4/NV242 was an option in 87-92.

I consider to replace my 231 with a 242, just to get the 4WD fulltime option. It will be handy onroad in the winter when the roads change from ice to dry roads all the time, also on wet and slippery roads.

I'm planning to swap a 242 into mine also (but I have a 2.5/AX5). From my research, the 242 is less than 1" longer than a 231, so the rear shafts may be interchangeable (?) or at worst you'd have to cut the difference down.

I've still got my old 2WD shaft lying under the house. If the one I have now won't fit, I'll have that one cut down (it's the bigger "tube-in-tube" shaft, not the one piece one I'm running now)

You could probably call the dealership and see if they list the same part # for the rear shafts. That would at least let you know if there is a difference.

Jeff

According to all my resources, no such animal exists. Sorry. The MJ had an all-wheeldrive option in 86, but it wasn't with a 242 or an AW-4 or even a shortbed. A quick search in car-part.com shows that there are 26 different rear shaft part numbers for an 88 MJ. That's not to say that some lengths are so close as to be interchangeable, but none list a 242 so I don't know where that length would fit in.

Jeep on!

--Pete

According to all my resources, no such animal exists. Sorry. The MJ had an all-wheeldrive option in 86, but it wasn't with a 242 or an AW-4 or even a shortbed. A quick search in car-part.com shows that there are 26 different rear shaft part numbers for an 88 MJ. That's not to say that some lengths are so close as to be interchangeable, but none list a 242 so I don't know where that length would fit in.

Jeep on!

--Pete

You may right, I don’t know how accurate the info on Comanche Stock Specs at JeepForum.com is, but this combo is listed ?

http://jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135806

However, I think the XJ's, both Renix and HO's have the AW4/242 combo option, so creating such animal :) for the MJ, shouldn’t be that hard ?

hmmm, I'll have to read through that later and see what all they have listed.

Swapping ing the 242 is fairly straightforward, I would grab all of the associated hardware in case there are slight differences

Jeep on!

--Pete

Jeep on!

--Pete

You may right, I don’t know how accurate the info on Comanche Stock Specs at JeepForum.com is, but this combo is listed ?

http://jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135806

However, I think the XJ's, both Renix and HO's have the AW4/242 combo option, so creating such animal :) for the MJ, shouldn’t be that hard ?

that is exactly what I did...bought a 91 XJ and am putting the 4.0/AW4/242 into my 2wd MJ for a conversion....but the rear shaft out of the XJ is going to be too short...because the whell base on an XJ is something like 103" and the short bed MJ is 112"..

I just got done swaping a 231 for a 242 because the 242 exploded, I have done this swap twice already and I have both t-cases next to each other and the difference in size is 1/4 to 3/8 on an inch. This is direct swap providing you have the right spline count and the t-case are from the same vehecle - for instace if you are doing this on an xj make sure the donor t-case is from an xj, the last xj I did the t-case came out a YJ and I had to change the front yoke to match the xj one in order to bolt the front driveshaft, and in case you are wondering the 242 and 231 yokes are not interchangables.

Hey..

In my experience I think that the T-case length does Not change the Drive shaft lengths it is the AW4 or the AX15 that change things since the AW4 is Longer then the AX15...

In My 89 MJ I had to Make a New Rear Driveshaft for it Until I was Lucky Enough to Find a 4WD/AW4/242 MJ in a local scrapper and Picked up that Driveshaft as a Spare...