What steering wheel column will fit?

My steering column has a lot of slop in the tilt mechanism-it's possible to move the wheel vertically in the 12 & 6 postion about an inch and a half while NOT touching the tilt stick. I'm not sure that it will pass it's upcoming safety inspection.

What year range column will be a direct replacement? I'm heading out to my local JY's tomorrow.

Yep, that is a common problem with the tilt columns. You have to pull the column completely apart to fix it. There are four bolts that work loose on the tilt part. All four of mine were loose with two that had come out all the way and was rattling around inside.

I used this write up to help pull it apart and put it back together.

http://brackmann.org/berkeley/Jeep/wren ... gwheel.htm

:cheers:

careful on the 1994's, I went to pull a column out of one the other day and it has an airbag and all the connections appear to be different so I left it alone.

I also got one from a jY that wasn't exactly the same, they didn't include the connections on the column so I had to use mine from the original column then the push rods for the ignition switch and hi-low beam didn't match up exactly right.

Try to fix it if you can.

here are a couple of good links you can use.

some tools that everyone doesn't have that you need are a

lock plate removal tool

steering wheel puller

E8 torx head

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/088020.html

http://www.buickperformance.com/tiltste ... wobble.htm

I used this info to tear into mine a few times before realizing that the tilt part of the actual column was busted.

careful on the 1994's, I went to pull a column out of one the other day and it has an airbag and all the connections appear to be different so I left it alone.

The XJ didn't get a driver's airbag until the 1995 model year.

The XJ didn't get a driver's airbag until the 1995 model year.

X2

My 94 has no air bags.

The later columns have the newer dual sided key though but I don't know when it started (92/93?)

Thanks for all the write-ups. I have the proper tools for taking the column apart, but I have another issue with the column.

The lock cylinder needs to be replaced. The key is difficult to remove and I need to pull-back on the key once the engine is started-it will not pull-back to the "on" position by itself. If I don't pull-back on the key it will cause the starter to stay on and eventually 'fry' the starter. Ask me how I know.

How difficult is it to swap a lock cylinder?

on the years that will work, in the door jamb, this jeep's mfg date is 10/93 which I would presume to be a 94 model and it has an airbag and the connections look different.

It is a 2 door if that makes any difference.

I guess they could have possibly replaced the doors but this jeep looks good. If that is the case then it might be a 96 which is what the guy thought it was in the first place which means that I can use it as a donor motor for my 98. I need to look at it again.

Is there another place I can find the year?

• 2 years later...

ok for fun my tilting steer column crap out today -this is the 2nd column first was victim of a broken bearing ..went got a non-tilting column from the junk yard ..damn rust on the sliding sleeve ....xing out a steering column is about 1 hour but due to rust crap ......this is a 1989 how many different steering columns configs with the manual tranny ? i noticed the output shaft toward the steering box was shorter than other one by 1.5'' anybody see this before ....thxs