Tansmission and Transfercase question.

I have a automatic transmission out of a 91 XJ 4x4 with a V6. Will that bolt up to my 87 MJ with a 4.0 4X4? I also have the transfer case out of that which is a 231 J. The transfercase in my MJ is a 231 AMC. What is the difference, if any? Is it just the maker? I would also like to know if anyone knows what are a set of good gears that will fit in a Dana 30/35? Where or what can I get them out of? I have 3.08 in there now with 31's. Thanks.

Please do not spend money on upgrading a Dana 35. It is simply not worth it. You can either buy a better axle (8.25, 8.8, 44) and invest your money into something that will last, or you can get another Dana 35 that has better gears (but it had better be cheap :D ).

Please do not spend money on upgrading a Dana 35. It is simply not worth it. You can either buy a better axle (8.25, 8.8, 44) and invest your money into something that will last, or you can get another Dana 35 that has better gears (but it had better be cheap :D ).

Can I just pull some better gears out of an XJ and slap them into mine? Should I just look around for an XJ with 44 from a junk yard? Do they cost an arm and a leg? What would I get the 8.25 or the 8.8 from? Which one is better? Thanks

I have a automatic transmission out of a 91 XJ 4x4 with a V6.

Please confirm what you have for a drive train. The XJ was not offered from the factory with a V6 after 1986. Where did you get this tranny from, and are you certain it's from a 91 XJ?

Can I just pull some better gears out of an XJ and slap them into mine? Should I just look around for an XJ with 44 from a junk yard? Do they cost an arm and a leg? What would I get the 8.25 or the 8.8 from? Which one is better? Thanks

Do you know how to properly set up gears? it's not as simply as just bolting them in.

The 8.25 is found under various XJs. 97+ are tougher than the earlier ones. Look for 2.5L engines mated to a 5-spd.

The 8.8 is found under Explorers. 95+ have disks. There's a ton of info here on that swap. :thumbsup:

Here's just one thread. there are plenty more. :thumbsup:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19657

I just had the same situation, two different tranfercases, one being 231J, and the other being 231AMC that I bought from a junk yard to build up. From what I have read; they were suppose to be the exact same. It does not seem so. I found out the HARD way after I installed it in my truck, only to find out that it would not disengauge from full time drive. It also kept the front axle locked, as I found this out on the test drive. :fs1: There was vacuum at the transfer case switch. The 231 AMC appears to be a full time four wheel drive and the other 231J part time.

I pulled the 231 AMC back out of my truck, and brought both of them together on the work bench for a side by side comparison test. I Postion each shift lever in the same shift postion on each transfercase, and hand spun both the tail shaft and the front output shaft to find a common reference point for each. I found out that the AMC tail shaft and front shaft made no difference in proformance charateristics through the four postion of the shift lever, in others words it never came out of four wheel drive. They both easily shifted in all four postion. The 231J is the original equipment from my truck. So I reinstall this transfercase and it works fine. :smart: I don't know if the 231 AMC has been altered, :dunno: I bought it out of a junk yard as is.

:hmm:

231s do not have a fulltime setting. they have only 2wd, 4-high, neutral and 4 low. 242s have the 2wd, 4-high, fulltime, neutral and 4-low

:agree: To my understanding the only difference between the two is that one is made by American Motors Corp.(AMC) up to a certain year and the (J) is made by Jeep. I know that the AMC that is in my 87 MJ is "not" full time. The 231-J that I have is out of a 91 XJ. :thumbsup:

I have a automatic transmission out of a 91 XJ 4x4 with a V6.

Please confirm what you have for a drive train. The XJ was not offered from the factory with a V6 after 1986. Where did you get this tranny from, and are you certain it's from a 91 XJ?

Eagle,

I have the 4.0 with the Man. Trans. I know that the tranny and tc are from a 91 XJ. I am probably remembering wrong about the V6. :drool: It may have been a 4.0 :hmm: If I remember right, it just didn't look the same as the inline 6. I had the tranny and tc given to me and I briefly saw what they came out of. I have had them about three years now, it is hard to remember back. :hmm: Could it have been a 4 cyl.? So, now that we can rule out the V6, if it was a 4 cyl. or a 4.0 from a 91 will it bolt up to my 87 4.0? Would there be anything different with electronics etc.? :cheers: Thanks for the reply.

:hmm:

231s do not have a fulltime setting. they have only 2wd, 4-high, neutral and 4 low. 242s have the 2wd, 4-high, fulltime, neutral and 4-low

:agree: To my understanding the only difference between the two is that one is made by American Motors Corp.(AMC) up to a certain year and the (J) is made by Jeep. I know that the AMC that is in my 87 MJ is "not" full time. The 231-J that I have is out of a 91 XJ. :thumbsup:

AMC nor Jeep never made the 231 or 242 transfer case, all the X-cases were made by New Process (NP) if you look at the stamp tag it will read 231 J, with New Process on the top of the tag - They were built in Syracuse, NY.

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/np231.htm

NP was later taken over by New Venture Gear Company.

Like the D35 axle........AMC nor Jeep made them, all were made by the Dana Company, and if you look at the casting stamp, you'll see 35 C stamped in them, the C does not mean C-clip, but for "Custom"

Ok, then why the AMC or J? Is that just who NP made them for? :hmm:

yeah i suppose, the AMC and the J made no difference.

there ARE differences in the 231s based on different years and other things like that... but the AMC and the J stamping on the tag has nothing to do with that, it was purely year splits and other slight changes

they are all for the most part the same.

the major difference to watch out for will be when working with 87-90 transfercases because they will all be 21 spline input gears, and 91+ 4cyl stuff will also be 21 spline.

from 91-01 4.0s got 23 spline input tcases. so if you use a later t-case you will need the transmission to go with it, or you can change the input gear on the case with some surgery.