Its official, I'm in the club

I just picked up my first MJ. Its an 87. 6 cyl with crappy BA-10. Nice body & interior. Motor runs rough. Am going to give it a compression check in morning & go from there. Will make a plan of attack once I figure out the engine problem. Still made it 100 miles home though :cheers:

Updates to come----------- :thumbsup:

Plans are to turn it into a mild trail rig/wheeler. Probably for the next 30 days I will work on the mechanical issues. Gave it a compression check yesterday & it was great. 135-140 across the board. So I know the motors good. Still won't run right. Check underneath the cap & the rotor was toast. Replaced it, but it didn't help. Today I plan on replacing the crappy air filter someone put on it with a factory air-box I picked up yesterday. Hopefully this will help with something. Motor has a bad miss. Could be a vacuum leak. Exhaust manifold sounds shot as well. Need to do some investigating there. I'll report back later witha few pictures. :thumbsup:

Gotta love this :dunno:

This is more my style.

Still ran with a heavy miss & a bad exhaust leak so I got busy.

Exhaust manifold is toast (of course). Doesnt look to clean in there. Contimplating putting a different motor in. I'm terrible at diagnosis, but great at R & R.

So if I have good compression & no knocks do you think I can make this motor run right? 165K on the odometer.

get it to run right then see how long it take to f*** it up ....(after youve already scored a whole newer cherokee for a donor)

thats what i wish i could have got away with but I'm still waiting to find one cheap enough since i already got the motor and tranny and axles in...but at least i have a good motor i guess for a stroker build in the future.

i only drove mine like 3 times it got ripped apart so i guess it all depends on how bad you wanna be in it now.

• 3 months later...

Still here. Had to do a clutch in my 89 before continuing with this one. Scored a 6" lift, some used wheels & some exhaust parts. Now its time to get busy. Got the back finished last night. Going out to do the front this morning.

More pictures later tonight. :typing: