Chrome rear bumper @ local JY.?.

CRF136N

OK, I know 1st thing I am going to hear is "put this in classifieds", but hear me out :no: ...

I saw this clean, straight CHROME rear MJ bumper today at pick-and-pull. It was accompanied by a descent tailgate and questionable lights. The rest of the truck is trashed (except its got 4.10's front and rear with the rear being the 20 amc or whatever that is...spent all my $$$ already :fs1: ) I figured the chrome rear bumper at least would be a good investestment as they are hard to come by so I should be able to flip that for a little extra to someone who needs it. SO, the bolts had just enough surface rust and my tools were so limited I did the best I could with what I had to work with...until the socket slipped off the bolt head and threw my hand back into something :???: Just about tore my thumbnail completely off and I thought I broke my hand it hit whatever it was so hard :mad: Shaking in pain and hand dripping with blood, I gathered my tools and quietly left the yard, cursing myself for being such and idiot :roll: Point in case, that bumper is still there. For as much as I don't care to touch that truck again, I hate the thought of that bumper disappearing. I will return someday with the right tools and see if it is still there and try again, but if anyone has the interest in it, let me know via PM with OFFERS!!! (this is why I didn't list it in classifieds) I don't know what its worth, and its almost kind of one of those things someone restoring an MJ would really want...So I can go back sooner than later if your offer is in the right range to make it worth my time and fuel then I can make time; otherwise it will be a "when I get time thing". Only damage is ding by trailer ball, and upside down v shaped rust spot...

And how about this one...think it got the peoples attention when they got hit?

And aside from nasty rollovers, this has got to be one of the hardest front end hits I've seen with an XJ there:

Oh yes, and there was this nice C4C wrangler with 100k on it :( Never seen one at pick n pull before.

-James

you should go back and get those tail lights :smart: :D :D

Oh ya, I will...I'll get the lights, bumper and tailgate; but it may not be for another week or so as I am going to be very busy this week...but I figured there is the chance that these parts may already be gone by then; so I just figured I would throw the offer out there :cheers: The lights were kinda crappy though; all scratched and faded, beyond repair...but I figured I would at least use them to try tinting them darker and see how it would look on my truck...and if I liked it, then sell mine :D

-James

As nice as that bumper is, remember they are still being made by aftermarket companies.

What's not being made are tail lights and tail gates. Those two could have been taken without braking your hand. :D

:cheers:

As nice as that bumper is, remember they are still being made by aftermarket companies.

What's not being made are tail lights and tail gates. Those two could have been taken without braking your hand. :D

REALLY!?! :eek: , someone makes OEM replica MJ bumpers aftermarket? Who?

LOL, I was going for the bumper first, as the lights were not my priority due to their cond. and the tailgate handle wasnt working, so it was stuck shut...firgured I would wreslt it open after I got the bumper :shake: :D

-James

As nice as that bumper is, remember they are still being made by aftermarket companies.:

They are? Who?

I have searched far and wide and not seen anything. You can buy aftermarket bumpers that will fit on an MJ, but they are not even close to being duplicates of the original. That Fey you posted a link to is a standard, universal replacement bumper. You can buy them at Pep Boys. For anyone looking to restore an MJ, that is NOT a suitable replacement for an OEM bumper.

As nice as that bumper is, remember they are still being made by aftermarket companies.:

They are? Who?

I have searched far and wide and not seen anything. You can buy aftermarket bumpers that will fit on an MJ, but they are not even close to being duplicates of the original. That Fey you posted a link to is a standard, universal replacement bumper. You can buy them at Pep Boys. For anyone looking to restore an MJ, that is NOT a suitable replacement for an OEM bumper.

Well let me correct myself so as not to get beat up anymore. :fool:

What I should have said is that there is aftermarket bumpers being made that will fit the MJ, but, there is NO AFTERMARKET SUPPORT for the tail lights and tail gate. And I'll add the disclaimer of, as far as I know.

I WIN!!! :banana: ...I think.?. :hmm:

So its been a week since this comanche claimed its defeat on my attempts to take its rear bumper. Despite our rough first meet (and a weeks worth of a gimp hand, which is still not 100%), I returned with the determination to get SOMETHING off that damn truck. I got there yesterday, about 15 mins to closing...so I ran back and had enough time to get the not-so-great taillights and the suprisingly nice tailgate...all for $65.00 :D

The tailgate really is nice, aside from some minor surface rust on the top, there really is no rust or dents (aside from 1 quarter size dent at bottom. I plan to just sell this tailgate:

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

As I paid for my loot, my eye caught an ad for their current special...50% off complete axle assemblies :eek: OK, now that AMC 20 with the 4:10's seemed a little hard to pass up. I returned today and got the complete rear AMC 20 4:10 axle assy for $87.00 :D jamminz.gif Yes, $87.00, not a typo. All the gears feel tight, the fluid is gold and the brakes (drums and shoes) are practically NEW!!! So, just curious...when I twist the driveshaft, both drums turn the same direction, but when I turned just one or the other drum, the opposite would turn the other direction...is that a limited slip, or? Regardless, I'm stoked :banana: I gave it my all to get the matching front axle, but ran out of time half way through the removal. The sale is good through tomorrow, so I plan on returning as soon as I get off work to finish removing the front...the cashier said he would give it to me for the same price (which its usually much more) :clapping: Going to try attempt #2 for that rear bumper too if I have time.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Oh ya, and he just gave me the int pillar lights, one of which must have been replaced before as it looks new with NO broken tabs, and the other is in great shape with 1 of 2 tabs broken...going to be selling those too eventually :yes:

I guess everything happens for a reason...had I not smaked my hand, I wouldn't have returned to discover the axle sale...and to get both front and rear, an amc 20 at that with 4:10's for under $200 is priceless (the full service junkyards were quoting me $800-1,000 for the pair of axles :shake: )

Oh ya, and Pete...why should I get the leaf packs? I have the Hell Creek lift leafs on my MJ...this axle will work with those OK, right?

-James

the leafs should have been Metric ton leafs and you could have sold them.

You've got an open diff. in a (funnctioning) posi diff, both drums would turn in the same direction no matter what you were rotating.

is that a hole in your diff cover?

Ya, dunno why :dunno: Pulled cover off and everything inside looks fine.?. I know a welder/fabricator that owes me some favors, so I'll give it to him tomorrow to fix it..

the leafs should have been Metric ton leafs and you could have sold them.

You've got an open diff. in a (funnctioning) posi diff, both drums would turn in the same direction no matter what you were rotating.

Ahh, ok. :thumbsup:

-James

Got the matching front d-30 today :D Once again, diff oil was fresh and gold, and the brakes are new jamminz.gif

So now this is getting farther off from the initial post, so I may just start a new thread if I don't find what I am looking for in my next questions...It seems enough people poke at this thread to where I may get answers to these seemingly simple questions:

The AMC 20 cover;

the holes were on the top, closer scrutiny revealed two, symetrically located opposite one another...one had a rubber plug in it, the other doesn't. Although symmetrical, they don't appear to be factory...more like a punch and hammer tear in the metal. Before I give this cover to the welder to be sealed, I can't imagine they serve any purpose.?. There is what appears to be a functioning vent tube on the axle, so any other possible ideas :???:

The d-30 front;

First off, the axle on my MJ right now came from my donor '94 XJ. I didn't have a ball joint seperator (of all things to forget), so I removed JUST the axle with the brakes from the '86. Working with only a hammer, I left all the steering linkage (was easier to pound out ball joints at the spindles), so I'm assuming all the steering linkage and control arm from the '94 will go onto the '86 axle, no problem...right? As I recall, I may have some issues with the brake calipers though, so I may need to use the current '86 calipers, correct? One final question on this '86 axle...it has the vaccume actuator on it, which my MJ 's current setup doesn't have. I understand there are ways to permanently lock it, but I like the idea of one of these manual (cable operated?) mods for that axle to allow more control. Does this work similar to the manual locking hubs? Reason I ask, is if I were to get the manual kit, can I shift into 4-low, with the axle disengaged and theoretically be driving in 2wd low gear? Would just be nice to have that option, even if I only used it a couple times a year.

Last question;

HOW THE HELL DO YOU GET THESE NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCHES OFF THE AW4 TRANNY!!!!??? :fs1: :wall: Got a possibly good one at the local p-n-p with 112k (not wanting to spend $150-200 on a new one!) I got the main shaft nut off, and the little washer ring thing, in addition to the 12mm bolt, but something is still holding it on there! :rant: Mine is getting BAD; afraid it won't start at all soon in P or N

THANKS!!! :cheers:

-James

Last question;

HOW THE HELL DO YOU GET THESE NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCHES OFF THE AW4 TRANNY!!!!??? :fs1: :wall: Got a possibly good one at the local p-n-p with 112k (not wanting to spend $150-200 on a new one!) I got the main shaft nut off, and the little washer ring thing, in addition to the 12mm bolt, but something is still holding it on there! :rant: Mine is getting BAD; afraid it won't start at all soon in P or N THANKS!!! :cheers: -James

They are hard to get out w/o prying straight up. This link will help:

http://gojeep.willyshotrod.com/HowtoNSSrebuild.htm