AX swap questions

is a YJ AX15 a direct swap into a comanche if i use my t-case?

(its from a 6 cyl)

and would the output shaft of a 93 be 21 or 23 spline... cause my 89 would have a 21 spline correct?

i know ive got to fix up the crossmember to hold the different tranny but will i have to clock my t-case up at all?

91 AX-15 would be 23 spline.

so, 89/90 is 21 then?

The AX-15 was a running change, introduced mid-year in the 1989 production run. Most likely the change from 21-spline to 23-spline was made at the same time, but ... it's a Jeep. You can't be certain of anything.

yeah, but if its cheaper to get a 23 spline whole case then might as well. i can always re-sell the 21 spline case to regain losses.

i was actually thinking about rebuilding my brothers old 242 (went out cause the morons that rebuilt it put gear oil in :mad: ) and running that maybe but its 21 spline so id have to source the part first too.

and are you saying that my BA10 crossmember can be moved to the AX holes and used?

thanks for the responses,

-nick

Yes, There are 4 holes per frame rail for the cross member. the 1st and 3rd are used for the BA10, and the 2nd and 4th are used for the AX-15. But be carefull when removing and installing the bolts. Use lots of PB Blaster to remove the studs, and then chase the new threads with a tap to grit rid of the almost 20years of crasp collectiiong in the,

Also, you will need the AX-15 tranny mount... Its different then the BA-10 and also a whole lot cheaper...

HTH

Ryan

sweet... brand new 500ft/lb impact wrench with the a/c-aircompressor upgrade should take care of loosenin them up... :D :D

Or snap them off. Lots of patience and lots of PB (and even a bit of heat) resulted in saving most of mine.

Yeah, Petes right.. be very careful with those frame bolts... for one reason.. they use Pem-nuts.....

Nuts that are pressed into the frame.. If you have even the slightest of rust in there, and give you it a good shot with the impact.. chances are you will spin the nut loose.. and now you have a loose nut with a rusted bolt attached stuck in the frame... Not a good combination..

I know, my t/case skid plate nut has spun loose.. Luckily, its still tight enough that the skid doesnt rattle, but still loose enough, that I can twist it out of the way....

hth

Ryan