parts MJ vs. XJ

i noticed when looking at aftermarket parts for my 86 MJ there isnt a lot listed. But There are tons listed for XJ same year how much is the same? For example bushing kit, its should work in the front what about the rear? :ack:

What parts are included in the 5% that's different in the front?

5% is probably too high.

Maybe 1% different and it is usually a column shifter or a minor structural support that makes it different.

For all intensive purposes, they are the same.

Arent the control arm brackets different?

Rob L.

Not different

They are they same but with an additional support.

I believe they are actually different. The MJ ones are one long piece, not an XJ piece with an additional support.

Also, the seat mounting brackets and floor pans are different. And so is the e-brake setup. But yeah, maybe 1%.

Arent the control arm brackets different?

Rob L.

Not different

They are they same but with an additional support.

I believe they are actually different. The MJ ones are one long piece, not an XJ piece with an additional support.

Also, the seat mounting brackets and floor pans are different. And so is the e-brake setup. But yeah, maybe 1%.

Nope.

They are the same.

I cut all mine off and the first piece to go was that outer piece. Once that outer piece (the one that you say is one long piece) was cut off, it is the stock XJ bracket underneath. ;) (at least on the 1987 MJ).

It's more than just "MJs have this, XJs have that" rules. By and large, XJs will have more amenities like power windows and full consoles. MJs were typically more bare-bones. MJs never had ABS, a lot of XJs will. MJs don't have a front prop valve. XJs rarely have shift-on-the-column. XJs will have a washer bottle that typically has a rear window pump. Lots of little things that can throw Jeepers for a loop if they aren't expecting it.

I thought the seat brackets are the same in XJ up until like 1995.

Johnny, You hade a late model and those were definitly different on the XJs.

No, the basic control arm mounts are exactly the same. The extra reinforcing for the MJ is formed gusset plates that could be bought separately and added to an XJ. I still have an unused set of them in my basement.

Guess I never looked at them closely enough. Either way, the brackets are coming off when I get my long arms on...some day.

Avery - yes, the XJ seat brackets were changed in 95. But the MJ brackets are different from the XJ ones.

Extra 'frame' bracing above the floor (where floors start to rot)

Extra X-member brackets/bolts (brake & lines have to bend around bracket on left side).

Already mentioned LCA braces

Rockers are different (XJ's are open ended on both ends, MJ's are closed off in the rear).