T-case compatability question...

Ok some of you know the deal on my rig, but if not here is the quick run down. Got a 91 MJ, its got a 96 AX-15 and 231 going in as we speak, as well as a 97 d30 front an 87 xj 44 rear. I have an opportunity to pick up the 231 from the same XJ that the front axle came from. It has a HD SYE already installed. Is there any compatibility issues to look out for, as far as T-case shifter linkage, trans compatibility, Speed-odometer compatibility, ect?? I should mention that the donor 97 XJ has an AW4...which is what the case was mounted to originally. thanks -J

I had a link somewhere to what spline counts were in what trannies, but can't find it now... :???:

But things to look out for are: spline count, input shaft length, and speedo set up.

There's a chance the input shafts on the two will be different, but there is no reason that you wouldn't be able to swap parts around to end up with a 231 SYE behind your AX-15. They are both 231's and it wouldn't be any harder than putting a SYE in.

awesome thanks...I have decided to stay with the 96 T-case. I need to find out what its gonna take to make my speedo work again. The plug on the t-case is like a 3 pin plug and the wire running up the firewall and into the main harness has a two pin female plug on it that was for the speedo on the 2wd tranny....what do I need to get or do to make this work? thanks -J

The electrical plug is mounted in what's referred to as the "quill", which is what holds the speedometer drive gear in the transmission. That comes out -- the's a 'C' shaped retainer that's held in by a single bolt. Just use the quill from your old transfer case.

Pay attention to orientation. It get's adjusted to different orientations depending on the tooth count of the speedo gear. Make certain it goes into the new t-case the same way it was in the old one.

you've got the same quill, it just plugs into the tailshaft of your 2WD tranny, not into a TC....just pull out the electrical-style quill on the new TC and insert. You may need to extend your speedo wiring, though.

Jeff

one thing to watch for is the input shaft on your 231.

up to 92 ,AW4 and AX-15 were 21 spline, and 93 and up were 23 spline IIRC. not to say it can`t be done. the inputs can be switched fairly easy in the 231`s but it does require a tear down to do it.