further proof that D35's are a piece of ####

mjeff87

Had to put rear brakes on the TJ last weekend, and discovered this bit of loveliness at the rear axle.........this thing barely has 100K on it, and has never been offroad.

Anyone think some RTV around the tube would help any? :headpop:

Jeff

Image Not Found

Not a big deal. It's not even dripping.

This really isn't an issue that is specific to the D35. While the D35 does suck, this is pretty common with this type of axle where the tubes press into the center section. Look around, you'll see you're not alone. :thumbsup:

Willy

yeah, I know.....it just really cheezes me off.

This one is supposed to be the nice Jeep, that doesn't leak anything. I now have a leaking axletube and some kind of mystery coolant leak from the front of the engine somewhere that I can't find, that only drips when it feels like it wants to.

H@ll, the 200K+ MJ that I frankensteined together, with Pat's old 4.0L doesn't leak a drop (from the engine, but I do have a small seep from the D44 cover in the rear......I used a paper gasket last time).

yeah, I know.....it just really cheezes me off.

This one is supposed to be the nice Jeep, that doesn't leak anything. I now have a leaking axletube and some kind of mystery coolant leak from the front of the engine somewhere that I can't find, that only drips when it feels like it wants to.

H@ll, the 200K+ MJ that I frankensteined together, with Pat's old 4.0L doesn't leak a drop (from the engine, but I do have a small seep from the D44 cover in the rear......I used a paper gasket last time).

My front D44 on the TJ I got out of a rubi has been weeping since I put it in there. I use to check it after every oil change but loss more gear oil checking it than it was weeping. As long as it doesn't start leaking, it's just a eye sore. I always laugh at the dealership when they come and tell me I have a serious problem and need to have the seals replaced. I tell them it's ok until it leaves a spot on the driveway.

Far as your coolant leak, it could be the waterpump getting ready to go and leaking out the weep hole thats suppose to let you know, huh, your waterpump is getting ready to go. :D

:cheers:

I have been pushing my D35 to some sort of limits I would image. Been hauling old hedge fence post I yank out of the ground with the MJ. She will be sitting on the bump stops with a load. We have had so much rain, mud is inevitable and the only way through is lots-o-wheel spin. Been going all summer like this and just turned 200K!

I need a good excuse to get the D44 in the garage bolted up.