4 wheel drive light doesn't come on?

Could very well be a burnt out lite. I also suggest you start there. THEN, if yours is a CAD axle, go take it appear and clean it up. I'll bet its not completely engaging/dis-engaging. This is VERY common and something ALL CAD owners shoulc do every couple years.

CW

To repeat a question already asked: Are you sure it went into 4WD? Many years ago, on the way to work during a snow storm, I threw my daily driver into 4WD to get up a particularly steep hill that had not been plowed. The lever went into the 4WD position just like always, but I couldn't make it up the hill. I finally had to give up and take an alternate route. Subsequent checking showed that the vacuum connections on the CAD were shot and it wasn't engaging the axle. The transfer case itself, which is shifted mechanically, was in 4WD, but without the axle being locked the front wasn't doing anything.

Both the front axle disconnect and the light are actuated by vacuum. If either doesn't work, I would start by checking for vacuum leaks. Then check for a burned out bulb.

To repeat a question already asked: Are you sure it went into 4WD? Many years ago, on the way to work during a snow storm, I threw my daily driver into 4WD to get up a particularly steep hill that had not been plowed. The lever went into the 4WD position just like always, but I couldn't make it up the hill. I finally had to give up and take an alternate route. Subsequent checking showed that the vacuum connections on the CAD were shot and it wasn't engaging the axle. The transfer case itself, which is shifted mechanically, was in 4WD, but without the axle being locked the front wasn't doing anything.

Both the front axle disconnect and the light are actuated by vacuum. If either doesn't work, I would start by checking for vacuum leaks. Then check for a burned out bulb.

Hi,

Yes, it went into 4 wheel drive, had to check it twice myself. Can't remember though, if the 4 wheel drive light use to on when you start the truck or not.

Spins... when?

If you're under the truck, and the lever is in 4wd, the driveshaft should not be able to move, CAD or not. If it's in 2wd, with a CAD, and the CAD isn't engaged, then the driveshaft will spin by hand. If the lever is in 4wd, or the CAD is locked, the driveshaft will not spin by hand.

Spins... when?

If you're under the truck, and the lever is in 4wd, the driveshaft should not be able to move, CAD or not. If it's in 2wd, with a CAD, and the CAD isn't engaged, then the driveshaft will spin by hand. If the lever is in 4wd, or the CAD is locked, the driveshaft will not spin by hand.

I meant when driving the truck with the shifter in 4hi, like is it possible for the front DS to spinning while driving and still be in 2wd

CAD is Central Axle Disconnect, Its in the front axle of most pre '93 XJ, MJ and YJ jeeps W/ a 231 T-case. It control's a two piece pass side axle shaft that is connected or dis connected via vacuum (the CAD) and a shift fork that moves a splined collar to connect (Or disconnect) the two axle shaft pieces. It gets dirty and gummed up and dosent fully engage the two shafts.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

CW

CAD is Central Axle Disconnect, Its in the front axle of most pre '93 XJ, MJ and YJ jeeps W/ a 231 T-case. It control's a two piece pass side axle shaft that is connected or dis connected via vacuum (the CAD) and a shift fork that moves a splined collar to connect (Or disconnect) the two axle shaft pieces. It gets dirty and gummed up and dosent fully engage the two shafts.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

CW

How do you clean this? Is it something that someone that is not too mechanically inclined could/can do?

Thank you.

the "hardest" part will be squirting on a new gasket so it won't leak oil afterward. While you're pulling the cover off, pull the C-clip, push the fork and collar over to the engaged position, then reattach the C-slip to hold it engaged all the time. Then you'll never have to worry about it being engaged or not. :thumbsup:

And in case you're wondering, no, this won't affect your 4wd or 2wd manners except that 4wd will always be there when you pull the lever. :D all modern Jeeps come with a solid axle shaft on that side. The CAD was a mistake that never should have happened.

who's got a link to the thread with those pictures?